Chapter 21

MATTEO

"You are worried."

Easily I shifted my gaze to the individual that had uttered those words. I defended calmly while sitting on the brown sofa, "No, I am not."

Returning my gaze to the reflective blue floor with visible marks of the wheeled beds passing through, I tried to drown his presence. Instead of walking away, Castillo continued, "You can't lie to me, boy"

Narrowing my orbs at him, I replied irritated, "You are not needed here. You can go."

In the corner, he stood, his hands were behind his back and his posture was straight. He held the gaze as he took a deep breath. His tone changed as did his eyes as he said, "I am not going anywhere, son."

His words were foreign to me, and I didn't realise how much I craved to hear them. The silence stretched as we continued to stare at each other. It did not last long, however, as we heard a new set of steps coming towards us.

Castillo was quick to turn to the source while I took a moment to see. When I did, the cardboard sandwich box was handed to me by Luciano. He demanded, "You need to eat."

I retorted, "I am not hungry."

Zack simply stated, "You have to. It has been hours."

I did not even realise that Zack had walked in, not until I saw him handing the stale cup to Castillo. Taking a quiet breath, I looked at the cup of coffee that Luciano gave me too and swirled the liquid around. My thoughts were only consumed with Dahlia, forgetting to eat or drink even.

Zack felt courageous when he asked, "How is she?"

His question echoed inside of my head, again and again. It made me realise how helpless I felt because of a woman. She was the weakness that crawled under my skin, and I should let go, but I didn't want to.

I couldn't, I wouldn't...

Castillo took that opportunity to add vaguely, "We don't know yet."

With a clear vision, I turned at him as he uttered those words. I remember him telling me that he called in few favours from people that I didn't dare to ask. I only knew that the doctor that was operating on her had a deep speciality for this area.

Zack nodded slowly with a worried expression. I had seen him careless and carefree, but never nervous. He asked, "How did this happen?"

I had assigned him with a job to babysit Dahlia when I decided to look for her secrets. Daily reports were given to me. I could sense the change in feelings for Dahlia by his tone.

Again, he asked with a worried tone, "When will we know?"

I answered him with a monotone expression, "She was having trouble breathing. Augustus decided to push her surgery right away. He is operating on her."

A voice announced, "Talking about me?"

Looking at the source, I stood up with narrowed eyes, "You should be there with her."

He remarked with a smirk, "I have never seen you so worried about someone, well unless they were brothers."

Luciano uttered, "Wipe that smile, Augustus."

Augustus in his surgeon attire rolled his eyes and continued, "You just jealous of my looks, admit it."

Anger filling in me and I shouted, "You should be there for her, operating on her."

His tone changed to composed and professional, "Calm down. The surgery was a success. But we won't know until she doesn't wake up."

Zack asked, "What does that mean?"

Augustus turned to him and uttered, "I did everything I could, but we won't know if there were any effects after she wakes up. It could be possible that she is not in sound mind." After hearing solemn news, everyone was quiet, but Augustus continued, "There is a good possibility that she will wake up with all her senses intact."

Luciano remarked bitterly, "How can we trust you--"

Castillo interrupted instead, "Enough. He wouldn't do anything stupid, right Augustus?"

I glanced at Augustus, and he confirmed with a fake smiled, "Right. We have a deal."

Luciano asked, "What deal?"

Before Augustus could announce, Castillo interrupted, "That doesn't concern you all. This between me and Augustus' father."

Augustus continued, "Do not worry, Castillo. My father didn't tell me either. I wonder what you two decided."

Castillo smirked but did not further the conversation.

Augustus returned to a serious tone, "I will shift the girl to another room, so you all can meet her."

Without waiting for gratitude, he turned and went back to the direction that he came from. I took a deep breath and tried to slow my beating heart. The worry that webbed around my heart seemed to become denser. It was like I was underwater and unable to breathe.

Stillness froze and tranquillity lacked as we processed the new reality.

Falling backwards, all my weight on the sofa, I took a deep breath exhausted. Looking at the white ceiling, I thought of Dahlia's beautiful features and her careful words.

Luciano reassured without his warmth, without looking at him, "She will be alright, Matteo."

Our moments flashed behind the closing eyes. I couldn't stop thinking about her.

I cannot live without her.

Zack sat next to me and put a hand on my shoulder, "Let her go."

Standing up straighter, in a hurry, Zack's hand fell. I narrowed my eyes, "What did you say?"

Zack continued with fear, "We can make someone follow her and make sure the truth doesn't come out. You don't need to marry her to keep her mouth shut."

Castillo warned, "Zack."

Luciano added, "He is right. You can marry anyone else in--"

I remarked, sure, "I don't want anyone else. I want her and only her."

Zack tried, "But we can--"

I interrupted him, "This discussion is over."

----

Author's note:

Vote and leave your comments.