Chapter 19

MATTEO

Arms crossed, I stood on the corridor of the hospital where Dahlia was sleeping on the other side of the door. Richard had been adamant to let her sleep for a while longer to regain some strength.

He suggested clearly to go inside and be right next to her when I wanted, but I choose the opposite. Outside, the truth wasn't real, but weakness greeted on the other side of the door.

A voice said, "Aren't you going inside?"

Turning around, an invisible defence stood in front of me. Although, my gaze quickly returned to the door of the room where Dahlia was. I simply said with a balanced voice, "I am waiting for the results."

The man remained behind me as he made a noise, "Right."

Slightly irritated, I asked him, "What are you doing here, Castillo?"

Castillo answered me after few heartbeats, "I came to check on you."

I uttered with anger, "That was not necessary. I can take care of myself."

His voice raised slightly, "You can push me away all you want, but I am staying."

Silence etched wider as the air tensed around us. It seemed like a long hallway, but it felt like the walls closed inwards. I was stuck in my position, just like my mind was stuck on the woman on the side.

Castillo broke my bubble and forced me to Present as he uttered, "I already told your brothers about the girl."

I corrected him, "Dahlia. Her name is Dahlia."

He affirmed, "Right." Then he corrected to gauge my reaction, "Your fiancé, Dahlia. A fiancé that I didn't know about until your brother told me."

Castillo had been a good Boss in his time by reading accurately. He used those methods on me and my brothers and then, he would use them as weaknesses. In truth, I do not believe that he saw us as his sons, but as soldiers and future leaders.

I resented him.

Instead on giving in, I uttered instead, "If you are waiting for a thank you or an apology, then don't hold your breath."

He sounded assured, "I am not." When Castillo didn't get a reaction, he attacked directly, "I would like to talk about Dahlia."

Narrowing my eyes at a man who was biologically my father, I faced him without fear. I asked with poison in my tongue, "What do you want to talk about her? She doesn't concern you."

He smirked in disbelieve, "Of course she does. If you end up marrying her, then--"

I interrupted him, serious, "I am going to marry her."

Castillo asked, "Do you really want to marry someone like her? A commoner?"

Enraged, I strike him, "My mother was a 'commoner', as well. You brought her into this world, didn't you think that before marrying her?"

His voice itched higher, "It was different. Your mother was different."

In the defence mode, I asked, "How?"

Castillo declared, "She was not a dead woman."

Sadness overwhelmed me as I tried hard to keep a levelled voice, "No, she was foolish to fall in love with you, the man who killed her."

Frowning, he defended, "I did not kill her." He returned by attacking, "If that is the case, you are doing the same mistake as I. You are bringing her into this world, just like I did with your mother. I guess the apple does not fall far from the tree."