Chapter 5

DAHLIA

The flashbacks haunted me all night.

Robotically, I kicked the covers away and made my way to the bathroom. However, midway, my vision began to blur, washed out. I sat on the floor and waited till my vision returned to normal.

Fatigue was my daily companion, nowadays.

Once I regained myself, I walked towards the bathroom. Facing my reflection, I could clearly see the dark circles under my eyes. Suddenly, yesterday's memories began to flood, and the nightmare had returned.

The sound of the gunshot still rang to my ears, however, I had to stop.

Fear started to travel through my veins as I thought about what they might do.

The possibilities of kidnapping or barging through my house were very much real. Even if I was on the brink of death, I still feared the unknown. I will pretend to be ignorant, just like I am doing with my illness.

As I was getting ready, I couldn't help to think about that man who was shot dead. The thought that a man had a family, children, or a wife made me sad.

However, it led me to think about my life purpose, especially about my biological parents and childhood. Hope is slipping away for a while now... Life can't be controlled and its very precious. In my life I never stopped fighting, therefore I never had time to reflect on myself.

I will always look for a silver lining.

Now, I have nothing to lose, and it was time to take a leap of faith for my next and maybe last adventure.

After I got ready, I started heading to the diner, where I dread to go. As I enter the diner, I start to fidget and become nervous. Looking around, I could see the regulars having a coffee or eating breakfast.

My eyes wandered to Carl as he was coming in my direction. He said, "Dahlia, you are the server today."

I nodded without waiting for a kind word.

I got behind the counter and started taking orders.

***

It was dark now.

The day went by rather quickly.

As soon as I walked in the diner, locals were talking about last night's murder and how there were no suspects. My agitation was unclear to everyone around me; however, my anxiety showed a little by dropping a plate to the floor.

I was glad that no stranger came by asking for any questions, which slowed down my nervous breakdown.

By the time that the shift ended, I walked out breathing calmer, because I realised that no one knew that I was there. The latter outcome would end me up dead, which my mind drifted to my illness.

I closed that chapter and walked out of the diner after saying goodbye to my co-workers. Stopping in front of the diner door, I looked up to the sky with a smile. The sight of the full moon with stars always managed to show me that even in my darkest times, there is light.

Shaking my head slowly, I returned to the present and began making my way towards my house, when I saw something shift nearby the trees.

I stopped in my tracks and squinted my eyes to try to decipher the shadow.

I took two steps in front towards where the trees were when I felt an arm curl around my neck and push me back. Trying to turn my head around to see who it was, I was unable to do so.

The arm tightened the grip and a white handkerchief came to my view. The white linen began to descend closer to my nose.

Something snapped inside of me and I began fighting back, but it was too late because I could already smell some chemical that was on the handkerchief.

Making me feel drowsy, my eyes started to close.

But before I drifted, the person behind me whispered in my eyes, "Sleep tight, Dahlia."

Being too weak, I accepted the darkness. 

-------

Author's note:

Vote and comment!