Chapter Eight

(A/n: incase anyone was wondering, two months have gone by lmao. I wanted to speed up time.)

Maya stuffed books into her locker with a neutral expression written on her face. Suddenly, a big gust of wind welcomed her from behind as she turned around confusingly, revealing Riley Matthews with news in her eyes. And, five, four, three, two, one- "Lucas and I kissed."

Maya raised her brows. "Yeah?"

"Yeah." Riley searched her eyes. "How do you feel about that?" She pressed, trying to get a reaction from her.

Maya's face turned playful. "Am I supposed to feel a certain way? Go get him, girl." Riley rolled her eyes in her own frustrated way. Maya arched a brow up as she watched the girl having a battle within her mind. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah, yeah I'm fine." She trailed off, looking another way before speaking again. "Have you ever kissed him?"

The blonde almost paled at the question. "Riles, I've told you before. We've been friends for ever-"

"No, I know that." Riley interrupted, taking a breath. "But did you ever like, see him in a different light?"

Maya inhaled hesitantly, gaping slightly at her friend as she was about to respond, but they were soon interrupted by Zay and Farkle.

"Hii lovely ladies." Zay winked, wrapping his arms around both of the girl's shoulders. Farkle's face darkened.

"That's my line." He muttered, shaking his head. Maya cleared her throat and smirked, nudging Zay's rib.

"Anyway," Maya continued on, her eyes traveling from the boys to Riley. "Riley, we're not having this conversation now, and we have to go to first periods. We know how your dad reacts." She awkwardly informed as Lucas walked in.

Lucas smiled confusingly at her comment, dropping his backpack down. "Maya, we have like twenty minutes till the bell."

"I'm trying something new, okay?" Maya said a bit louder this time, stomping on to class, leaving the rest in confusion.

There was something she hadn't told anyone.

<>

At lunch, Maya ate her salad with an uneasy expression. Farkle and Zay would make eye contact with her, or poke her hands, or clap in front of her face to get her attention, but she either glared, shrugged their hands off or take their clapping hands, and clap their cheeks with it. The whole point in the situation was, that Maya was in no mood for talking. Lucas sat down the next moment next to his best friend since 7th grade and nothing more, and noticed the odd vibe that was coming off of her ever-so-obviously. "She okay?" He mouthed to his friends. Zay shook his head and used his fingers to drag the ends of his lips down in sadness. He turned back to her and used his first finger to turn her face to his. Maya looked up at the blonde questionably, until he used his own first fingers to lift the corners of her lips up. When he let them go, her smile immediately dropped.

"Not helping." Maya muttered, sticking her force into her lettuce a bit aggressively. This only made Farkle's eyes widen.

"What did that lettuce ever do to you?" He asked in surprise. She glared at him again, and Farkle immediately avoided eye contact.

"Maya, tell us. What is on your mind?" Lucas asked, a concerned look written on his face as he noticed she hadn't said any sarcastic remarks, small quips or exclaiming her problems in agony. "You always talk to us."

She finally met his eyes again, pressing her lips into a firm line.

~

"Can you believe that we'll be in high school soon?" Maya began as Lucas, Farkle and Zay all sat around each other. "We're going to be like, those lame-o freshman. Starting from the bottom again in high school."