1. Welcome To My Life

{Song- Welcome To My Life by Simple Plan}

-Vic's POV-

The rain hits the window outside the classroom, and I watch as the big drops roll down the glass, leaving little streaks of water behind.

The  history teacher is rambling on about something that happened in the 17th century that literally no one cared about. I mean, most of us are seniors in this class. None of us really gave a shit about school right now. It seems to me that anything would be better then sitting here listening to the lecture, so here I am staring out the window and contemplating the meaning of life. Which, you know, really isn't much better then the history lesson.

Maybe it's the rainy weather that's causing my bad mood.

Or not.

It could just be my constant pessimism and anger at the world. Yeah, that's probably it.

I feel someone poke my arm, hard. I hiss in pain, and whip my head around to see my best friend Kellin staring at me intensely.

"What?" I growl under my breath, rubbing my arm. Kellin's pokes hurt a lot, and even after all these of knowing him, I still can't figure out why.

"Dude, I said your name like three times. Where's your brain?"

I roll my eyes. "Not in the 17th century, that's for sure."

"Tell me about it. I don't think even Mr. Nelson cares about whatever's going on."

I look over to where Mr. Nelson is at the front of the classroom. He looks like his own words are boring himself to death, and he's spewing out meaningless sentences in a monotonous tone. I smile a bit and look back over to Kellin.

"Maybe he'll talk himself to sleep," I say.

"I wish. And then we could go get something to eat, I'm starving."

"Dude. We had lunch like two hours ago."

"Yeah, well I'm a growing boy. I'm hungry again. Besides, I have this coupon for that new pizza place that just opened next to the school, we should totally go there."

I open my mouth to say something in reply, but then suddenly realize that the entire classroom is silent, including Mr. Nelson's voice. Everyone is staring expectantly at Kellin.

Kellin realizes this just as I do, and he raises an eyebrow. "Someone ask me something?" he asks in a loud voice, directing the question at Mr. Nelson. Oh boy, here we go.

"Yes, Mr. Bostwick, and you would know that if you were paying attention."

Kellin leans back in his seat casually and crosses his arms. "It's Quinn, sir. Not Bostwick. And honestly, you can't blame me for not paying attention. It's not like what you have to say is interesting."

There's a few snickers.

"Must you always be so sarcastic?" Mr. Nelson asks wearily.

"Must you always be so hellishly boring?" Kellin mocks, mimicking his tone.

I hold back a laugh. This isn't a new development with Kellin; it happens at least once a day. You could say he has issues with authorities.

Mr. Nelson just rolls his eyes and ignores him, going back to the lecture. He doesn't bother with detentions, ever. I think it's because he honestly doesn't care.

Kellin turns back to me with a giant grin on his face, blue eyes sparking with amusement. "Now, where were we?"

----

Ten minutes later, the bell rings for class to be over. I sigh with relief and gather up my books, stuffing them in my backpack. Kellin is still talking about places we could go for food, but I'm only half listening. I'm really not that hungry.

"So, Vic," Kellin says as we walk out of the classroom. We were done with school for the day, not having last period. "What do you say about that pizza place?"

I shrug. "Sure. But I probably won't get anything."

"You barely ate anything during lunch."

"I'm not really hungry."

He rolls his eyes and is about to say something, but just then someone slams into me from the side, making me stumble. Kellin catches me before I fall over and glares after the person who ran into me, yelling, "Hey, watch it asshole!" to his retreating back. Whoever it was ignores him and continues on his merry way through the hallway.

Kellin is still glaring when he looks at me. "You okay?" he asks.

"'m fine," I mumble, sticking my hands in my pockets. "You don't have to keep sticking up for me."

"Well those people shouldn't be running into you. This happens all the time, yet you never stand up for yourself."

It's not my fault I'm invisible, I think to myself. Kellin doesn't have this problem, because people respect him. He knows how to call attention to himself, but I'm not like him. I wish I could be more like him.

I don't say any of this aloud, though. Instead, I clench my jaw and stare at the floor. Kellin sighs, but doesn't say anything more. We continue on through the school, heading to the new pizza place, or so I think. Instead, just when we're about to leave the school, we run into my least favorite person ever.

My least favorite person, not Kellin's.

"Katelynn!" he calls happily, waving at her. She grins and bounces over obnoxiously, hair swaying.

"Kelly-boo!" she gives him a hug, and I feel like I'm going to be sick.

Katelynn and Kellin start chatting about who knows what as I stand awkwardly on the side. I'm just about to grab Kellin's arm and drag him away when Katelynn says, "So, Kellin, I have a ton of math homework and I know you're a total genius, so could you maybe help me with it right now? We could have a little study party at my house! Make some popcorn, maybe pull out the vodka?" she winks.

I roll my eyes, trying not to gag, and wait for Kellin to refuse her. I mean, he already said he wanted to go get pizza with me, right? But, to my surprise, Kellin just smiles at her, totally ignoring me, and says, "Sure, I'd love to."

My jaw drops, and feel the betrayal stab like a knife. Sure, Katelynn is pretty, but she's a complete bitch. And Kellin already had plans with me. I had no idea that he'd ditch me for her.

Stop being so selfish, Vic, a mean little voice tells me. Why wouldn't Kellin want to hang with her? It's not like getting pizza with you is his idea of fun. Spending time with his crush is much better then dealing with you. I want to tell the voice to shut up, but it's true. Kellin hasn't actually told me he has a crush on Katelynn, but it's kind of obvious. Kellin has already started to walk off with Katelynn. I tell myself to just forget it about. Kellin can do whatever the hell he wants. Just like that, I feel the anger ripping through by body. I turn and run out the front doors of the school, wanting to get away before the tears start to fall.

"Vic, wait!" Kellin's voice is behind me.

I don't turn around, because I'm sure my face would betray me. So instead I just yell, "Fuck off!" and run through the rain to my car.

I'm full on sobbing by the time I get the car unlocked and I'm inside. The always-lurking feelings of worthlessness and self-hatred are magnified by a hundred as I cover my face with my hands and cry. Of course Kellin doesn't want to be around me. Why would he? I wasn't worth anything to him.

Now, you're probably wondering why this is affecting me so much. Sure, it's totally normal for a guy to ditch his friend for a girl. All guys do that, right? Just keep in mind that I have astoundingly low levels self-esteem, and I tend to take a small situation and turn it into something extremely dramatic. But the truth of the matter is that I'm completely, thoroughly, and fervently in love with Kellin Quinn Bostwick. And he has no idea.