THIRTY SEVEN

"Question for you." I said to Sirius as I walked down the stairs and saw him sitting on the couch, "Why in Godric's name are you staring at yourself in a mirror? Can't you just go to a lavatory if you need to check to make sure your hair's still in place?" I laughed and ruffled it up a bit.

"Oi! I am not staring at myself." He told me as he took my hands away from him hair and I sat down beside him. He showed me the face of the mirror and instead of seeing my own reflection, I was seeing James.

"What the heck?" I asked, astonished.

"Padfoot, you daft idiot this was supposed to be a secret! Now she's gonna steal the mirrors and use them to talk to Lily and then Lily's never going to want to talk to me again!" We both laugh at his outburst. I decide to overlook that fact that James has just called Sirius a nickname I haven't heard, considering it's probably just from an inside joke.

"Now who's being daft. I literally don't even know where you are, how can I steal them." I told him, still laughing.

"Oh! Detention with McGonagall." He said calmly.

"Yeah, the tosser got himself caught throwing dungbombs into Filch's office, so stupid when it could have been easily avoided with your invi—"

"McGonagall's coming, gotta go!" James yelled into the mirror cutting Sirius off mid sentence. I had a feeling that they weren't telling me about a few secrets. I watched Sirius put the mirror back into his bag and sit back up before slinging his arm around my shoulder.

"What do you want to do today?" He asked me as if nothing suspicious had just happened.

"I have a load of homework that I have to do." I said and stood up, "I might just go to the library, transfiguration is kicking my arse."

"Okay, don't forget about the Quidditch practice later." He told me and I gave him a quick kiss on the cheek before getting up, fetching my bag from the dormitory and heading out the portrait hole. When I passed him, he was looking at a piece of parchment with writing on in. I had only seen it once before, and only a quick glimpse at that, but it must have been important to him and his group. There was one too many things that he wasn't disclosing to me these days, and it made me sad to think that he didn't trust me enough to share his secrets.

The walk to the library was short, and I was able to grab a spot in the corner to set all my work out. Even though it might have been only a month into the term, the amount of work we had was monstrous. All the teachers were trying to get us ready for the NEWTs we would be taking in June.

"Do you mind if I sit with you?" Someone said from beside me. I looked up from my transfiguration essay to see Remus.

"Sure!" I said and moved some of my stuff around to make room for all his books. He thanked me and took a seat, taking out an equally long piece of parchment to my own to begin working on.

'Transfiguration?" I asked him. He looked up at me and nodded, smiling a bit.

"I enjoy the subject, just not the homework." He told me and I laughed a little. I was right with him. We settled into a quaint silence and began to try and finish the paper. It was only broken by the subtle rustling of pages from a textbook or the occasional question to check facts. Overall, it was nice, I enjoyed spending time with Remus, he was quite a refresher from James and Sirius, who constantly had to keep moving. Sirius. It still bothered me that he was keeping a secret from me, like he didn't trust that whatever he had quiet, I could keep it too. It captured so much of my conscious thought that I had forgotten about the dripping quill on my parchment.

"Eliza!" Remus said louding, taking me out of my thoughts.

"Dammit." I said before trying to sop up the pool of ink. "I'm just going to have to start over." I sighed and put that piece off the the side before getting a fresh one.