Chapter 1

I thought I would feel something. Fear, pain, anger, relief. Instead, I felt nothing. My body was numb, the pain like a fragile humming in the back of my mind. I couldn't even feel relief. How long had it been since I had felt something? I couldn't remember. Hours, days, months. Years. I didn't know. I was numb. And that scared me. So long, it had been so long.

I hated this. I hadn't always been this way. I remembered a time when I would have fought for every last ounce of dignity and respect that I had left. That time was gone. That girl was gone. I was her shell, left here to wither away into the dust on the hardwood floors. For the first time in what felt like ages I felt a spark begin to grow in my chest. I hated this. I hated him. I hated this room. I hated these floors.

My arms began to tremble as I pushed off the floor. It was hard to breathe through the pain. My ribs felt crushed and I was sure that one of them was broken. Sweat began dripping down my forehead and my stomach churned. I had to get up. I had to get out of here. My body was fueled by pure adrenaline as I pushed through the pain. My heart pounded deep within my chest as my eyes frantically darted about the room.

He was gone. I'd heard his car pull out of the driveway, which meant he wouldn't be back for at least another hour. I had to leave. My arm clutched my ribs as I hobbled towards the door. My ankle twinged painfully, but I forced myself to keep going. The pain didn't matter anymore. If he caught me I would be dead. My fingers fumbled as they reached for the doorknob. Trembling, I pushed open the door and hurried down the hall. I couldn't believe I was actually doing this. My feet moved of their own accord. Only one thought repeated in my head. I had to escape.

And then I was jogging, the pain in my ankle clouded by adrenaline as I burst out the door and into the forest. Town was only a mile away. If I could make it there, I was free. Desperation kept my feet moving. Everything hurt. But I didn't care. I had to get away.

It felt like forever before I finally caught a glimpse of lights in the distance. I came out of the forest at the back of a diner. With a fearful wave of relief, I collapsed to my knees. A sob escaped my throat. I was free. My eyes caught site of a bus stop a few blocks away. My shoulders hunched as I walked through the parking lot, my eyes trained on my feet. They were bare, the skin torn and bloody from my trek through the forest. I didn't care. I was free.

I looked around as I hobbled, to the bus stop. My eyes were wide in equal parts fear and wonder. It had been so long. I had forgotten what society looked like. A pang went through my chest at the thought but I pushed it aside. No one else was sitting at the bus stop so I gladly collapsed on the plastic seats. Now that the fear and adrenaline had lessened, the pain had returned. My whole body throbbed and ached. Gasps escaped my lips every time I moved. By the time the bus arrived, my body had become wracked with shivers from the chill air on my bare arms and my feet had grown numb. When I stood to take a step towards the bus, my ankle collapsed beneath me. I lay there for a moment, trying to find the will to stand up. Gritting my teeth I pushed off the pavement.

My throat felt tight with fear as I approached the menacing doors of the bus and stepped up onto the steps. When the bus driver caught sight of my appearance, his face flashed with disgust and then anger.

"We don't allow no beggars on this bus." I flinched at his harsh words, the despair growing within me. My shoulders shrunk back but I forced myself to not turn and run.

My voice felt rough and weak, "Please, sir. I . . . " I couldn't help the sob that escaped past my lips. The driver's face turned into one of annoyance. I felt myself cower even further under his piercing glare.