Chapter 21

This chapter is dedicated to jazzedd_02 !!!(I think you changed your username so hope I got this right) Anyways thank you so much for the amazing cover!!! <3 I love it so much!

It was a long three days in the hospital before I was finally allowed to go home. When my aunt arrived with Ari and Sophie trailing behind her, I almost burst into tears. Sophie had run up to give me a giant hug. I didn't have the heart to tell her that it hurt, instead I just squeezed her tight. Ari stood with my aunt his face pale and shock running along his little face. I motioned him over. When he got close enough I reached out to ruffle his hair.

"Hey kid." I sent him a bright smile and watched as his lips tentatively lifted as well.

With my aunt warning her to be careful, Sophie climbed up on the bed with me and snuggled close into my side.

Shawn and my uncle came in a few minutes later. Shawn had stayed with me in the hospital. He'd barely left my side for more than a moment. Every time I saw him, his guilt filled the room. No matter how many times I assured him that my injury was not his fault, he wouldn't believe it.

I sent him a tentative smile, as he helped me off of the bed. My smile turned into a frown as he plopped me down into a wheelchair and began to roll me out of the room. I could walk, really, I could. Not well, but still.

I sent Shawn an annoyed glare. "You just had to bring a wheelchair, didn't you."

He smirked, his features lighting with mischief. "Think of it as a free pass to be lazy. Besides, I couldn't exactly have the cripple walking around. That would absolutely ruin my reputation."

I raised an eyebrow quizzically. "Your reputation? Please, your rep was killed by your ego ages ago."

"Ouch. Hey, it doesn't hurt to know that I am a beautiful person." I burst into a short fit of giggles. My side flared and I drew in a sharp gasp of air.

Seeing Shawn's concern, I sent him a humorous smile. "Let's keep the hilarity to a minimum. Your stupidity is killing me."

"Excuse me miss grumble pants. I am actually a very intelligent person."

I raised my eyes to the ceiling. "Oh, god. Here we go again. I can't wait for the day your head blows up."

"Are you sure the doctors didn't overdose you on painkillers. Next thing you know, you'll be talking about purple polka-dotted unicorns."

I sent Shawn a playful glare. "You're such an idiot. Everyone knows that unicorns are rainbow."

Shawn sighed dramatically as we approached the front desk. "Try not to scare the good innocent folks in the waiting room while I go sign your discharge papers."

I smiled and winked at him as he walked up to the counter.

Sophie, Ari, and my aunt and uncle, who had all taken the stairs, arrived at that moment.

"I'll go get the car." My uncle gave my hand a comforting squeeze before heading for the automatic doors. My aunts eyes trailed after him with a loving smile.

Before I could dwell on the wave of envy that flooded through me, Sophie and Ari began to talk to me about all of the presents they'd gotten for christmas. I smiled as they talked about how they'd left cookies out for Santa, and how he'd left a note saying they were delicious.

"Wow. It's sounds like you guys were really good this year."

They nodded excitedly, Ari stating, "And you were too. You got lots of presents from Santa. We left them under the tree for when you came home. You can open them when we get back."