Chapter 6

SAM's POV

She was so small, so fragile. Her faint whimpers and cries of pain had my fists clenching and rage coursing through my veins. I reached out towards her but paused. She shifted anxiously on the bed, her breath coming in rapid pants. She let out another faint scream. Screw it.

"Rose, Rose, wake up." I heard her stirring. With a gasp she woke. Her eyes were glazed as if she was not fully present. Tears began streaming down her face as sobs wracked her frail body. My heart clenched painfully as I pulled her into my chest, holding her close. Rubbing a comforting hand on her back, I whispered soothing things in her ear. I felt her body slowly relaxing in my arms, her breathing steadying until her chest rose and fell in an even rhythm. My arms tightened possessively as I thought of the bastard who had done this to her. Of course I didn't know for sure, but it wasn't hard to guess. I calmed my anger with the promise that when I finally got my hands on that bastard he would get ten times worse than what he had done to Rose.

She deserved better than she had gotten. I still remembered her innocent look as she'd walked in beside my sister. Even dirty and broken she had been beautiful.

Feeling her fall asleep in my arms, I reluctantly laid her back on the bed. A whimper escaped her lips and her faint murmur reached right into the depths of my soul, "Don't leave me."

Gasping, I laid down on the bed, pulling her body close to mine. She was so small. Everything about her made me want to protect her. Brushing her thick hair out of her eyes, I took in her peaceful features. I stayed like that for what felt like hours, just studying her. That's all I ever did, was watch. Since when had I become such a creep. I'd had many women before. They never lasted more than one night. So what was so different about Rose. Everything. Everything was different about Rose. With that thought in mind I fell into a contented sleep.

A screech erupted through my sleep addled brain. I sat up lazily, my eyes catching sight of a terrified Rose standing against the far wall. What the hell?

"What are you doing in my bed?" her frightened words startled me fully awake.

Confusion clouded my brain. "You don't remember anything that happened last night."

Her face scrunched into an adorable frown as she tried to remember. I couldn't stop the soft feeling from entering in my chest.

"I can't-" her voice cut off abruptly as realization shot across her features.

Seeing the pained expression on her face, I pushed up off the bed, wanting to comfort her. A faint squeak shot out of Rose's mouth. When I saw her eyes flit across my boxer shorts I couldn't help my smirk. I tried to hold back a laugh as her face flamed crimson and her eyes trained on the floor.

"I'll see you downstairs for breakfast." Smirking, I left the room. I'd never met a girl who was as shy as Rose. How much could one girl really blush? With a faint smile on my face I swiftly walked down the hall and into Zoey's room. The bed was empty but I could hear the sink running in the bathroom.

"Zoey."

Hearing my voice, Zoey popped her head out of the bathroom door. "Give me a minute I'm almost done." Slightly annoyed, I sat down on the edge of the bed to wait. Knowing Zoey, it would be at least another fifteen minutes before she was done.

By the time Zoey walked out of the bathroom I was glowering at the wall and bored out of my mind. "Finally."

"What do you want Sam?" Zoey gave me an exasperated look.

"You're going to the group therapy this morning right?"

Zoey groaned. "Yeah why?"

"I know you hate the group sessions, but you're going to pretend that you love them."