Chapter 13

"Sam asked me to drive you to the hospital for your check up." Zoey said as she sat at the kitchen table, a mug of steaming coffee in her hand. How she had gotten her hands on the coffee I didn't know, but putting her off of the unhealthy drink was becoming a serious challenge.

"Thank god. I can't wait to get this cast off." Making my cup of tea, I went to join her at the table.

"You're evil, you know. I had to ask Adrian to pick up some coffee for me at the store this morning."

"That little rat," I mumbled under my breath. Checking the time on the clock, I turned back to Zoey. "Did you call in late for work."

Zoey's face took on an oh shit look and she raced for the phone. As she made the call, I discreetly reached for her coffee. Before I could pour it down the sink Zoey turned around, giving me a fiery glare. Raising my hands in surrender, I sighed. There was no getting around Zoey and her coffee. I might as well just accept it.

"Okay. You ready to head out chica." Zoey snatched up her coffee and downed the last few sips.

"Yep. Just let me grab my bag." I met Zoey at the car a few minutes later and we drove out of the gates and towards the hospital.

"So how are things with you and Sam?"

I couldn't help the grin that erupted on my face. Things with Sam were amazing. "Great."

Zoey turned to me, a mischievous smile on her face. "Don't think I haven't noticed my brother sneaking into your room at night." I felt my cheeks flame a vibrant red. I hated how easily I blushed. "Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you guys are finally accepting your mutual attraction for one another, if you know what I mean." Zoey sent me a wink and I choked.

"It's not like that. I just sleep better when he's around. No more nightmares, you know." I shrugged.

"You're no fun."

"You do know that you're talking about me and your brother having sex. Doesn't that bother you even just a little?"

"Nope." Zoey grinned. "You guys are perfect together." I tried to hide my blush, but Zoey was having none of it. "He really loves you. He's never been like this with anyone before."

"Zoey." I groaned. Seriously. Don't get me wrong, I loved the girl, but couldn't she keep her nose out of other people's business for more than ten seconds. "You really need to mind your own business."

"I can't help myself. It's an occupational hazard. I don't think I would survive with my head out of other people's business. It's like coffee. I'm addicted."

I groaned again. "That's just wonderful. Please tell me you don't spy on people when they're going to the toilet. There comes a point where you cross a line of human privacy. You see the line, it's right over there. You're dangerously close to the line."

"Okay, okay. You've made your point." Zoey giggled as she waved off my concerns. "And that's just nasty. Why would I ever want to spy on someone when they're going to the toilet?"

"Oh, so toilets are nasty, but spying on someone's sex life, that's not?" I gave Zoey a raised eyebrow look. "Girl, you need to get your priorities straight."

"Hey, I wasn't spying on you guys, I just happened to notice my brother sneaking into your room. It's not like I could help it. We do live in the same house you know." Zoey's expression was one of complete and utter innocence.

"Always in the wrong place at the wrong time, right?" I couldn't help the hint of sarcasm that crept into my tone. Zoey didn't seem to notice.

"Exactly," Zoey exclaimed as we pulled in through the hospital gates.