Chapter 15

Bile rose in my throat as the memories assaulted me. His hand was firm against my jaw, his fingers digging painfully into my flesh. I felt my whole body shake as his arms dragged me farther down the hallway. Oh god, I was so scared. I don't think I had ever been this afraid in my life. This was nothing like before.

"You stupid slut. What the hell are you doing here?" His voice was like poison, seeping into my skin.

His hand moved away from my mouth and I went to scream. His sharp slap across my cheek made my ears ring, and stars blinded my vision.

"Don't even think about it you bitch. If you scream I'll kill you."

My lungs contracted painfully and my throat closed. He would do it. He would kill me. A whimper escaped past my lips, but I didn't scream.

"You tell anyone about me?" At my silence he growled. His hand lifted and I flinched. His large fingers wrapped around my throat, pressing against my windpipe.

I tried to find my voice. "N-n-no. I d-didn't t-tell anyone." The words came out in a stuttered whisper.

"Good." His hand pressed down hard on my windpipe before he let go. A jarring cough wracked out of my throat before I curled back against the wall.

"Okay slut, here is how it's going to be. You walk away from this but you never, ever mention my name. You got it?" His words were a menacing growl, and I flinched. I nodded my head shakily. "I always knew you were a good for nothing whore."

His fist slammed into my gut even as his hand muffled my scream. Blinding pain cracked through my ribs as I felt something snap. Oh, god. The pain was familiar as I sunk down to the floor. Curling in on myself, I tried to ignore the sharp burn the was rapidly spreading along my ribcage.

"That's a reminder girl. Not a word."

Tears streamed down my cheeks as I watched his boots walk slowly away, back towards the main room. I don't know how long I stayed there, curled against the wall, my limbs shaking uncontrollably. My chest ached and the familiarity of the pain was almost a comfort as the fear lingered. Eventually I pulled myself up off the wall, grunting as the pain increased. Wiping my face off as best I could I made my way slowly back towards the party. My steps automatically adjusted to hide the pain and my face cleared into a blank mask. I had dealt with pain before. I'd learned to hide it. This was nothing new to me.

Seeing a sign for a bathroom I pushed through the door. After cleaning off my face and trying to hide the faint bruising I gave myself a moment. My hands still shook, but the rest of my body had calmed. It was funny how easy it was to hide the pain and the fear. It was such a familiar notion to me. I remembered hiding bruises and limps when I had gone to school. It had become a sort of game for me over the years, to see how well I could hide it. No one had ever suspected. I'd hid it well. I felt numb now as I prepared myself to hide once again.

Breathing hurt, but I was used to this sort of pain. How many times had he broken my ribs when I had lived with him? Enough for me to know that the pain would linger for months. But I could ignore it. I always did. Walking carefully out the door I schooled my features into a thin smile.

Walking back into the crowd I tried my best not to bump into anyone. Staying on the outskirts of the room I walked along the wall. My breathing hitched painfully as I caught sight of Adrian and Zoey. Washing away the pain in my expression I stayed opposite them along the wall. Keeping my eyes on them, I let their presence offer me comfort. I stayed in my spot against the wall as I watched them walk elegantly around the room, talking and socializing with the guests. A deep ache began in my chest and I frantically tried to halt the tears that threatened to fall down my cheeks. I wanted Sam. I wanted his touch, I wanted his arms around me, holding me, making me feel safe. I needed him.