eighteen.

Fear paused outside the bedroom door. He didn't like to make it a habit to listen in on the people whose fears he brought. Of course, he knew things about them and learned things about them as he did his job and performed his duties, but it was never more than that.

He never stopped, stood, and listened, on purpose, with the intent to hear something.

So he found himself standing outside the door to Piper's parents' bedroom, hesitating. Their fears tonight were for Piper. Her mother was worried about her. It was the mention of Piper's name that had caused Fear to stop and listen.

"I'm not sure what it is," he heard her mum say, her voice muffled slightly through the door. "But I feel like something has changed with Piper. She seems...worse. Do you...do you think she's alright?"

Fear held his breath, waiting for Piper's father's answer.

"I...I don't know. And I don't know what to do anymore. Sometimes I worry that I haven't done any of the right things. I want to help Piper. I'd give anything to help her, but I have no idea how to do that. I don't know what she needs."

Silence. Fear moved into their bedroom, standing in the corner of the room while they talked. A wave of guilt washed over him for eavesdropping. Should he be doing this? It seemed somehow like an abuse of his powers. And it seemed somehow like going behind Piper's back.

"I feel rather useless," Piper's dad said. He was sitting on the edge of the bed, staring at the floor. "I want to give her everything, and take all of what she feels away, but I feel like I can't do anything. The only thing I can do is make sure that she knows that I'm always here if she needs me."

Fear stopped listening then, straightening and making his way to the bedside to gently touch Piper's father with anxiety over his daughter, as fit the fears existing within him, and touching Piper's mother's shoulder. She'd have a nightmare later. Fear didn't pay too much attention to what the nightmare would be about, because he didn't want to invade their privacy any more than he already had, but he knew enough to know that it would stem from her anxiety over Piper.

He stopped in the doorway once more, and stood for a few moments, watching as Piper's parents settled in for the night, turning off the lamps on their side tables.

He sighed, tiredly, and departed.

It was time to pay Piper a visit. She was having a difficult night, he knew. 

He wished he could help her more.

Maybe he was becoming like Piper's father...he'd be there if she needed him. And he'd hope that would be enough.