Chapter 11 - The Spirit Will Remain

Aethernia lies next to Tobi, keeping his soul and body warm all the time. They are wrapped up in a black woolen blanket, having only their underwear on. She is hugging him as she wanted to keep him by her side forever.
„Because I do”, she thinks „I won't let him go, however, so I don't have to fear him anymore. He won't hurt me now. He's mine.”
Returning him to life has lasted the whole night and now it's daybreak. The morning light shyly creeps to the tiny bedroom when Aethernia gently kisses Tobi's neck. He sighs silently and embraces her.
Now he's awake, aware yet still a bit weak and mind-numb. He's in her hands, defenseless again and this feeling of having control makes her as confident as she's never been.
- Aethie... My angel – he whispers – Can you just explain me one thing?
- Hm? - she looks deep in his eyes, thinking that she's more devil than angel now.
- These ghostlights. What are they? What did they do to me?
- That's more than one thing – Aethernia speaks calmly, though her heart is beating really fast – But all right. I think they are something like... side effect of my fear. You know, when I was imprisoned in my father's cellar I just created them. I don't know how, but I guess it's just something in me. The power.
Tobi listens attentively and Aethernia can see first sparks of fear mixed with excitement in his eyes.
- If I feel insecure or if THEY acknowledge someone as a dangerous person... They take his soul, leaving only a breathing body. It may seem frightening, but sometimes it's a salvation.
- What do you mean? - Tobi asks with a silent tone of apprehension in his voice
- When I turned eighteen they did it to my father. I don't know what happened with him in the end, but I dread that he might have woken up somehow. You did.
Tobi looks at her with a huge dose of mistrust. He opens his mouth slowly like he was afraid to say anything, but Aethernia initially closes his mouth wit a passionate kiss.
- But you don't have to fear – she whispers to his ear – I won't hurt you, I promise.
- All right, I don't fear you – his nose dabs her nose gently, even with a bit of provocation – I fear ABOUT you. Do you know how to curb them?
Aethernia laughs histerically.
- You must be joking. I don't even know what exactly they are. I read horrors to know, but it seems it's only fiction in there. And they are real. I try to rule over them. You heard it, didn't you?
He nods.
- But I know how it will end, Tobi – Aethernia smiles sadly, turning her head away from him again – One day they will devour my soul too. I used to this thought. And I'm okay with it. My life is just constant waiting for the end.
He seems to be shocked. He embraces her the hardest he can and fondles her hair to make her more comfortable.
- No, they won't. I will stop them.
Aethernia laughs again, then she kisses his lips one more time. Tobi tastes like heaven.
- You can't do it and you know these are just words. But you can do something for me now.
She knows very well what is going to happen this morning. She secretly wanted to try it before the ghostlights would take her soul away.
- Oh, girl – Tobi laughs skittishly – You chose the moment when I'm weak and tired. Did you do it willfully?
She smiles at him. This time Aethernia is wild and full of desire.
- You are always in control. It slowly becomes boring.
She kisses his ear and Tobi moans silently. The moths in her stomach are rampaging and she feels she musts tell him one more thing:
- You know what? You are very special to me.
She wanted to say „I love you”, but then she memorises her father and she has to close her eyes to let this scary vision go away.
Her hand is slowly crawling under the blanket.