Chapter 14 - And A Song

Aethernia hums silently while she is cooking a dinner for Tobi and herself. She still feels a bit weak after the ghostlights attacked her and it worries her because she knows that Tobi feels excellently.„What's wrong with me? Is it just my fear and my phobias that make me so enervate?”
She sighs as she doesn't know. It's evening and the darkness slowly covers the forest, making no room for the dying light of day. Athernia stands in front of kichen window and cuts boletus into pieces. Sometimes she just turns her head to check if Tobi is still in her house. She still sentinels him, but a little less than before.
„And it may be the mistake of my life. How can I trust him if, in fact, he is my prisoner here?”
„Very cute and luscious prisoner”, she thinks then and smiles to herself. She still smiles when she spots the strong pink light right before her eyes. She rises her head and feels the petrifying wave of fright.
It dances outside her window, wild and confident as never. Aethernia can hear it's whisper through a double layer of glass:
„Feeedddd usssss.”
She turns away and walks calmly to the bedroom. She remains calm in such situations, but this calm is sham. Deep inside she trembles in the panic attack.
- Tobi.
- Yeah? - he rises his head and puts off the horror he was just reading.
- You must see something. Now.
She feels kinda more sound when he follows her to the kitchen, but she is aware that ghostlights would devour them both one day. „Our end is visible from the point we stay in. How adorable.”
Tobi frowns as he looks through the window. Aethernia looks too and now she can see all ghostlights dancing around her house.
„They closed in on us”, she thinks with fear.
- What a herd of bloody-minded motherfuckers – says Tobi with a merry tone in his voice – Let's scare them away, Aethie.
Her spine stiffens and her voice becomes cold as ice.
- What do you mean?
- Let's shoo them with a song!
Tobi deflects his head and starts to howl. The sound makes Aethernia shudder. Then Tobi starts to sing the loudest he can and she knows the song perfectly well. She can barely prevent herself from singing with him.
- MINDS FLY FREE WHEN THE GATES FLY OPEN!
Aethernia smiles stealthily. Everything in him is so childish but so alive and vigorous at the same time. She would never act like that but his behaviour fascinates her.
- WALK ON THROUGH THUNDER AND RAIN AND THE WIND IN MY FACE!
Tobi claps his hands, encouraging Aethernia to sing with him. She can't controll the laughter.
„What the fuck is happening with me? It's not normal, I have to stop...!”
- GHOSTLIGHTS DANCE, WILL YOU HEED THE TOKEN?!
„Oh, God, I am so stupid. Singing demands neither trust nor sacrifice from me, so what am I afraid about? What bad could happen if I just...?”
- BLAZING LIGHTS...
They end together and this is the loudest sound Aethernia made since she had beed born.
- BLINDING MY EYES, GET ME OUT OF THIS MAZE!
She laughs hysterically at the end.
- Look. It doesn't help at all!
„I sound like a madman”, she thinks and laughs even more.
- You aren't right. It helps me and you because we forget about our fear and our powerlessness. It makes us mentally stronger. Go on! Aethie, I believe in you!
He claps his hands again with the most badass and adorable smile Aethernia has ever seen. It totally breaks her.
She starts to sing „The Spectres”, he joins her  straightaway.
Ghostlights are still dancing around the house, mad and boisterous as they have never been.