Chapter 20 - Return To Avantasia

Tobi is in absolute hurry. He almost ran out of money but it seems that he will be able to reach the monumental Sport Hall on time.
„Shit, I must be there. How many Avantasia concerts did I miss out already? How tragic will be the consequences?”
The taxi stops at the rear of the building, Tobi gives driver his last money and jumps out of the car without hesitation. He passes through the back door when bodyguards cross his way. But he just looks at them and says:
- You managed to forget me so fast. But my fans didn't forget me.
It's enough. They freeze in mystification and Tobi siezes the moment to skim between them and go to the backstage. He takes a deep breath and opens the huge, white door.
There is a deep silence when he appears without warning. He looks at their faces with remorse, embarassment and a bit of sadness. Amanda, Eric, Michael, Jorn, Ronnie, Herbie, Felix, Sascha even kind-hearted Bob gaze at him as if he was the devil who wants to take their souls to hell.
- Hi everyone – he says silently – I'm back.
„We have only five minutes” he thinks „Five fucking minutes and I am standing in front of them without makeup, dressed in baggy trousers, cotton shirt and this bloody red scarf, my hair is still wet and I am totally unprepared for a gig. No wonder they behave like that...”
Amanda is the first who breaks the silence:
- Tobi...! You goddamn, irresponsible sod!
- Where have you been for such a long time? Just tell us, where the fuck have you gone? - Eric looks very confused and a bit angry, but his voice is rather calm, as always.
Jørn pats Tobi's arm and says charitably:
- Okay, you will tell us everything after gig. Now sit down, calm a little because you are trembling, and wait for us.
- But I'm gonna start the gig.
- What? - this voice belongs to Sascha. His curly hair falls like a curtain on his eyes and he seems to be highly incredulous – You want to sing in this state?
- I want – Tobi responds the calmest he can – And I will.
They all look at each other with deadly seriousness. Finally Ronnie says silently:
- So you don't even consider that we deserve the explanation?
„You do”, he thinks „But you won't recieve it. It would get too dark.”I
nstead of saying it, Tobi leaves the room and goes straightly to the stage. He knows he should feel very uncomfortable without his usual outfit but he doesn't care at all. He reached the place on time and this time he won't disappiont anybody, that's the only important thing for him.
„I managed to disappoint my beloved one. It's enough.”
As he starts to sing „Mystery of a Blood Red Rose”, he realizes there's louder than ever. His fans scream wildly, relieved that they see him on stage, no matter how awfully does he look. Tobi didn't prepare himself for the concert, but he is so turned on emotionally that he sings even better than usually. The lights blind him, so he can only imagine what is happening in front of him.
„What if she was there, standing in the last row and smiling at me with her beautiful smile full of sadness and desire?”
He screams fiercely as her image comes to his mind. The audience goes mad.
„I'm so cold” he realizes suddenly „Probably I have a fever.”
Even this fact cannot tame him. He unleashes the song from his chest with a memory of his beloved Aethernia in his heart.