Chapter 18 - In The Open Skies

Aethernia runs. The faster she is, the fiercer are her ghostlights which follow her every step, flying in the open skies. She is as desperate as she was right after she escaped from her father's cellar. She knows that if she fails, she will die.She doesn't even know if she chose a good path.
„What if he went aversely? What if we depart from each other with every step we take? Oh God, it's impossible. He must have chosen this way. This is the only one that leads to the town...”
Aethernia doesn't feel tiredness or despond, there's only fright and desperation.
When she reaches the top of the hill, she suddenly stops as she sees him running down the path. He is far away, but when she screams he turns his head and stops too. Aethernia shouts one more time. She raises her hands to the sky. Ghostlights seem to be waiting for this sign as they slowly crawl down the hill to take his soul.

***

Tobi sees the death coming from the sky.
„When it comes to eating they are even obedient of her” he realises „We will die both today. I won't be enough for them.”
He knows them and he is aware that there's no sense in running because in the forest there's no place to hide.
„Good that noone sees me right now. I'm a loser surrendering in the last moment of my life.”
He slumps on his knees while looking at the horizon. She stands there, proud and furious, but he cannot be mad at her.
- I still love you, Aethie – he whispers in the end.

***

This sight hits her so strongly that Aethernia has to hold her breath. She didn't expect seeing it and it totally breaks her down.
Tobi kneels down the hill and trembles as ghostlights approach him with a wild hunger. She can see his every move even though he is in the distance. His countenance is blur from this point she's standing in but she knows perfectly well how does his face look. She can imagine his eyes, full of deadly fear and surrender. She experienced this state long time ago.
„I looked like that while I was running from my father's house. Does he feel the same? Does he deserve it...?”
Suddenly she feels sympathy and sadness. These feelings are stronger than everything else.
„Oh, Tobi...”
Ghostlights move slowly as if they were hesitating. Aethernia clenches her fists till she feels the pain.
„I cannot blame you for my mistakes. I didn't want to be like my father, I promise...!”
Ghostlights stop and turn to her. Their colourful lights weaken and they become more transparent now. Aethernia realises she doesn't fear them anymore and she doesn't feel hate or panic.
„I am not my father. I am myself. I got hurt but I don't have to hurt anyone.”
- Go away – she says calmly to ghostlights – Noone fears you right now and there's nothing you can feed on.
They hang in the air, still like they've never been. The sky is getting dark and cloudy.
- Go away. I won't repeat anymore! - she says louder. Her servants slowly recede and Aethernia feels that now she is able to reign over them without a big effort. Drunk with her might, she screams
- Respect the power, you bloody bastards!
There's nothing more on the sky but black, dense clouds.
Tobi still kneels down the hill and this sight makes Aethernia whisper for the last time:
- Go, my little child. I set you free.
She turns back and runs to where she came from.
The water from the sky mixes with this flowing from her eyes.