Chapter Four

"Sonic!!" Amy cried, glomping me in a hug. "Thank goodness you're okay!"

" 'Course I am." I told her.

She looked up at me. "What happened?"

"Well, some weird cat guy punched me in the jaw, and started talking about some boarder to a 'digital world'."

She had let me go and was following me to the sofa, where I sat and held my still throbbing chin.

"Digital world?" She asked, sounding confused.

I nodded. "Doesn't make any sense, I know."

We sat in silence afterwards, wrapped in our own thoughts.

This is your chance! I told myself. Ask her!

Slowly and gently, I took Amys' hand. She looked at me, her cheeks turning a light shade of red.

"Amy," I began. "I know it's been way to long, and I've kept you waiting for what seems like forever. But now, you don't have to wait any longer."

".... For what?" Amy asked quietly.

I smiled. "The reason that I kissed you in that meadow was because I love you, Amy." I dropped my gaze to the couch, smile gone. "The reason I hadn't told you this in the past few years was because I was... Nervous. But now here I am, confessing what I should have said a long time ago. And I'll say it again: I love you, Amy Rose."

She stared at me in silence for a moment, eyes shining.

I gulped.

"... Y-you..." She muttered finally. "You really... Mean it...?"

"Well of course," I replied with a gentle, loving smile and scooting closer to her. "I had help realizing it, but thanks to that help, I am willing to ask you this--" I took her other hand. "--Please, be mine?"

My entire face felt kind of hot and blushy (is that a word?) and my heart beat a million times faster than it should have. Her own muzzle was also red, and I could see tears at the corner of her eyes.

She looked down with a small smile. ".... I... Waited my whole life to hear you say that... I thought I'd be ready... To answer with a yes...." She looked up at me, her smile gone. "But I'm not..."

I blinked, heart hurting slightly. "You.... What are you trying to say...?" I mumbled with a frown. "Yes or no?"

"... I don't know yet..." She admitted softly. Her hands slipped out of mine, and she stood up and walked a couple steps from me. "I need time to think about it..."

I stared at her back for a moment, a bit let down but relieved. At least it wasn't a no.

I smiled and walked to her. "Don't worry Ames." I said when she turned back around to me. "I won't go anywhere."

She smiled up at me. I couldn't help but to kiss her forehead.

Then, a frantic knock on the door inturrupted us. I went over to it and revealed a green wolf standing there. She had large curls at each side of her face, and long hair pinned back in a pony tail. She wore a slightly battered lab coat with black shirt, pants, and tan shoes. I noticed some charcoal on her, and that she was breathing really hard.

"Are you alright?" I asked, alarmed.

She shook her head. "No! I mean, yes! I-I mean.. That's not why I'm here!" She cried. "The Meadow Creek Labotory has been attacked! People are still trapped inside!"

Meadow Creek Lab..... I repeated the name a few times, then my eyes widened. "That's where Tails works!" I cried. I looked at Amy. "Stay here. Take care of her. I've got this." Without waiting for a response, I boosted off.