Chapter Eight

The walk to Darts room wasn't all that far. Honestly, I was kind of dreading this conversation. Did he blame us?? I sure as heck hope not. I mean, I tried to help her.

Since the atmosphere here is dangerous to Digital Mobians, we figured that our atmosphere has the same effect on mortals. I remembered Dart saying.

Then the memory of the hospital came to me. I winced a bit with guilt. Would've been nice to know before then. Guess I really can't blame him for blaming me.

We stopped at a door. The gray Shi Tzu motioned for me to go in. "He's waiting."

I walked towards the door after exhaling. Unfortunately the door opened as soon as I was close enough. There Dart was, sitting on his bed and staring at the ground. I walked a few inches to him awkwardly after the door shut.

I took a breath. "... Dart-"

"Shut up hedgehog," He snapped lowly. "I'm thinking."

I snapped my mouth closed.

Dart rubbed his hand into his face. "Why didn't you tell me about Rusha?"

So that's what her name was. "Your boss said-"

"That's the problem." Dart stood and glared at me. "My boss told me. Not you. Like it should've been. So I'll ask again; Why didn't you tell me about Rusha?"

I didn't answer.

"You do realize that I would've been able to forgive you if you told me in person. But you shyed away. Why's that?? Were you scared about what I'd say? You already know that I blame you for what happened to her right?"

"I-It was an accident!" I retorded. "I didn't know who she was, or where she even came from! I would never willingly kill anyone like that, even if it was for the greater good!"

"Still," Dart growled, walking up to me. "You were planning to keep it from me weren't you."

I bit the inside of my lip. "Look, I'm sorry."

"'Sorry' doesn't cut it this time." He poked my chest roughly. "You killed my best friend Sonic the Hedgehog, without meaning to or not. You really think that's easily forgivable?"

Dart pushed passed me and out the door. I watched him guiltily. No.. I thought glumly. No I guess it doesn't..

⬛◻◽◻⬛ Some Time Later

The gray dog led me to the so-called Mess Hall after a few minutes of me waiting for him by the door. I had stayed silent the entire walk, the pit in my stomach growing. I completely skipped the lines of people and headed in the direction of the tables where everyone was eating what looked like slop. No thanks.

The Mess Hall--like everywhere else--had black walls. But what was strange about it was there were lights in the ceiling that gave the entire room a cheery morning feeling to it. They scattered across the ceiling. It was a sight for sore eyes, especially when you've only seen black for almost a day or so.

I easily spotted Amy and Territory--since they seemed to be the brightest of the entite crowd of people--and glumly sat next to Amy.

"How'd it go?" Amy asked me gently.

"Awful. He definitely blames me."

"About what?" Territory asked.

I looked down at my hands. "I... I'll tell you some other time. Or mabye Dart will. Whichever works. I don't feel like talking about it right now."

Thankfully, she simply shrugged and took anothet bite of the weird goop stuff. I watched her eat it for a bit before asking, "How are you eating that??"