02. fight

The twins never spoke to me or introduced themselves officially- I didn't even learn their names. Throughout dinner, one of them would look up at me every now and then, and he threw a playful wink my way- but other than that, there was nothing. I didn't really mind, I was just surprised when they didn't talk to me-not that I made a move to talk to them, either. Caught up between interrogations about WalMart from Mr. Weasley and annihilations in wizard chess by Ron, I didn't have much time to. I also decided to figure out at some point why Hermione's hands shook a little every time Ron and Harry played a game of wizard chess, and why she jumped every time one of the pieces got taken out.

Now, I'm standing in front of the Hogwarts Express, slightly out of breath from the exhilaration of running full pelt through a wall. I remember to keep moving just in time, because Harry and Ron appear behind me soon enough. They look down at themselves, and then back up at each other, grinning, and then they high-five each other, apparently pleased at something they did. Too nervous to even ask what that's about, I turn away and head towards the train. I stick my hand through Nori's cage, and he immediately rubs his head against my fingers. It calms me a little.

Soon, I'm safely aboard, and wandering through carriages with my carry-on. Old friends greet each other happily as I weave my way through them, and it reminds me that I don't have any friends here to greet.

Once I find an empty compartment, I instantly collapse onto the soft, worn seats. Kicking my shoes off, I bring my knees to my chest and look out the window. Lee offered me a seat in his compartment with the Weasley twins and his other friends, but I declined. I don't want to make my friends purely because of my relation to Lee- being away from him for so many years has made me more independent, and I'd like to make friends on my own. As much as I want to take the easy route and join his group, I need to make my own way.

The train leaves twenty minutes after I sit down in my compartment- not wanting to look at the families waving to their children happily, I stand up and get a book from my carry on. As soon as I open it to the bookmarked page, however, there's a loud knock at the door.

A girl and a boy stand at the opening to the compartment, and they both smile politely at me. "Hi," the girl says. "Mind if we join you? All the other compartments are full of really rowdy first years."

"Sure," I say, moving my small suitcase to one side. "I'm Venus Jordan. New fifth year." Something flickers slightly in the girls eyes, but I say nothing about it.

"I heard Lee Jordan saying he has a twin sister that's joining this year when I passed him not long ago," says the boy, grinning. "Is that you?"

"That's me," I say.

"Well, it's nice to meet you," the boy says. "I'm Julian Bainbridge, and this is Alaska Yaxley," he said, pointing to the girl. (a/n: veeeeeery distant relation to the yaxleys we all know and despite guys don't worry)

Julian has light sandy hair and intelligent green eyes. As I observe him, a group of girls come by our compartment and wave at him. He winks at them, grinning, and they giggle and whisper to each other excitedly. Ah, so he's that guy.

Alaska has strawberry blonde hair, blue eyes, and a smattering of freckles along her nose. She is tall and beautiful, and I have no doubt that she is hit on at least thirty times a day.

They both are absolutely stunning, and it takes me a minute to realize I haven't said anything since they introduced themselves. "Nice to meet you," I say.

"I love your accent," Alaska says, smiling. "American, right?"

I nod, and then tell them the basics. It's become fairly routine since I got here to explain where I went to school before this, and things like that.