54. river, rhea and rapier

I stare at Bill Weasley's scar on his cheek as he helps dress Fleur in Harry's clothing.

We are at Number 4 Privet Drive, and today is the day that Harry will be moved. We've been organizing this for months, and in the days leading up to tonight I've been wrought with nerves. Now, though, I feel eerily calm. I run over the movements in my head as I walk inside and hug Harry tightly, grinning at him to try and ease some of his own nerves. He's suddenly so much older now than he was when I last saw him, although he hasn't grown much.

Everyone has already piled inside the small house and Mad-Eye has given out the Polyjuice potion, much to the predicted chagrin of Harry. I watch each person down the potion, grimacing unconsciously at the disgusting taste. I stand beside Fred and George and can't help but laugh as they say, "we're identical!" as each of them shrink several inches and sprout dark locks to replace their bright red. Lee, Julian, Allie and Angie have already gone to the Burrow to set up the wards and wait for everyone to return with Ginny and Ms. Weasley. I'm thankful that they're safe, at least.

As I hand Fred Harry's—his—round-rimmed glasses, Bill catches me staring at him. "Courtesy of Greyback," he says, gesturing to the pinkish puckered marks on his cheek.

I suspected, but I didn't want to assume. I nod in response.

"You did... that to him?" Bill says after a moment, and I know immediately that he's referring to Greyback's melted skin.

I nod again. "A year and a bit ago, yes," I tell him.

When people know that I was the direct cause of such a mutilation, even despite the victim being deserving, I'm usually met with some form of fear or uneasiness as a result. Not Bill. He grins gently, in a way that's reassuring to me. "Slowed him down a lot, I'll tell you that," he says. "I wouldn't have escaped with just a little scar if it wasn't for you."

Somehow this makes me feel at least a little better about things, and I resume putting on the grey hoodie Harry wears. "Right then, we'll be pairing off. Each Potter will have a Protector," Mad-Eye says, surveying all of the Harry's as we get dressed. "Jordan, you know your job, correct?"

I nod, but one of the Harrys—the real one—glances back and forth, his eyebrows raised. "Uh, I don't know Jordan's job. Vee, what are you doing?"

I sigh, contemplating for a moment whether or not to say anything. "I'm not assigned to a pairing. Since I'm one of the strongest—"

"You're the strongest, Venus. Now's not the time to be modest," Mad-Eye interrupts loudly.

I wince and continue. "Well, either way, I'll be flying around the different groups, on the lookout for any activity."

Harry thinks about this for a moment. He knows he doesn't have a say in the matter, and he also knows how tired I'm getting of him trying to reject my protection of him and the group. I'm an adult now. I get to decide how I do this. "Just make sure you're never separated from anyone, alright? Stay with someone at all times."

I can't help but chuckle at that. "Yes, dad," I say, and Harry makes a face at me, which I immediately reciprocate. Despite my teasing, I'm happy he cares for me so much. If only he was that careful with his own life.

"Right, are you two girls finished your wibbling?" Mad-Eye snaps, turning back to the group. "Mundungus, stick tight to me. I want to keep an eye on you. As for Harry—"

"Yes?" all of the Harrys chorus, looking up.

"The real Harry. Where the devil are you, anyway?" Mad-Eye asks gruffly.