The Girl Who Lived...Through Draco Malfoy - Chapter 17

CEDRIC’S POV

I stood on the dock, looking around for Quendie, but I hadn’t seen her since the morning of the day before. I could hardly focus on the task at hand. Every scenario ran through my head as Dumbledore announced what the task was. Then, it hit me. Every champion had something taken from them, something they held dear. Quendie was in the lake and I needed to find her. My mind was racing as the task started and I cast my bubble head charm then jumped into the water. I had an hour to find Quendie and she could be anywhere in the lake.

Think Cedric, think. The egg. It was Merpeople singing. I needed to find the Merpeople and I would find Quendie. I had absolutely no clue which direction to go, so straight seemed the best. I swam as hard as I could, not noticing how vast it was or what could be lurking in the dark. I swam for what seemed like forever until I reached a patch of weeds. I swam through them carefully, making sure not to get tangled in them or even disturb what could be hiding in them.

Suddenly something grabbed my foot, dragging me down into the weeds. I fought off what I figured to be a Grindylow, kicking it back into the weeds. Thankfully, I only had to deal with the one, but I knew there were others not far away. I kept swimming and I knew time had to be almost up because I was exhausted. Then, I saw it: the village and inside was Quendie. She was floating next to Fleur’s sister, Hermione Granger, and Delia, their feet tied to a rope which went all the way to the bottom of the lake. Harry was already there, cutting Delia’s rope, but a worried look on his face. I cut Quendie’s rope, looking once more to Harry then dragging her to the surface. She regained consciousness, the look on her face of pure confusion as we climbed onto the dock. Someone wrapped a towel around her and handed me one, but I didn’t pay any attention. I was just happy she was okay.

Viktor came up next with Hermione then Harry with both Fleur’s sister and Delia. I looked around and noticed Fleur sitting at the back of the dock, already there before I was.

“What happened?” Quendie looked up at me, her lips turning purple and her hair clinging to her face. I laughed, hugging her to my chest. She shivered, but wrapped her arms around me as they announced the results of the second task. Harry was bumped up to second due to his ‘moral fiber’. We were tied for first with Viktor in second and Fleur in third.

There was only one task left, but it was supposed to be the hardest yet. I could only imagine what was in store. Maybe we would have to fight dragons underwater. Anyway, we had a couple months to recuperate and then it was over. I was starting to regret putting my name in. I never thought it would put anyone I cared about in danger. Only one task left, but at least I had Quendie there to support me.