The Girl Who Lived...Through Draco Malfoy - Chapter 34

We all knew about the Taboo. It was how the Death Eaters tracked those who defied Voldemort. If you so much as uttered his name they would be able to find your location. Even with the protection charms we had cast over our campground they could find us. When we had destroyed the locket, we were at a loss for leads. It was frustrating, but I never expected Harry to forget the Taboo and say Voldemort's name. The second he said it, we all looked at each other, knowing what was coming. There was a loud pop as they appeared, breaking the protective charms. We ran through the trees, jumping over roots and ducking under low branches while dodging spells. I had no wand; no way to defend myself and they were getting closer. Delia was running next to me, her breathing loud and frantic.

I felt a stinging in my back and I lost control of my limbs. I collapsed to the ground, unable to move or speak; the sword dropped beside me.

"Quendie!" I heard Delia yell and I wanted to tell her to run, but she stopped and was hit with a spell as well, falling down beside me. All we could do was stare at each other as the Snatchers ran past us after Harry, Ron and Hermione.

They came back, but neither Harry, Ron or Hermione were with them. If I could have smiled, I would've. They grabbed our arms and we apparated. I knew where we were immediately. I had never wanted to be there again, but there we were in Malfoy Manor.

"Take them downstairs," a man with a deep voice ordered. A rush of energy surged through my body and I could move my body again.

"Come on," a second man said, grabbing Delia and I by the arms and pulling us through the reading room, opening the door to the basement and pushing us in. I grabbed Delia's hand, keeping her from falling down the stairs like I had done my first time. The door slammed shut and we were left in the darkness.

"Where are we?" Delia asked with a hint of fear in her voice.

"Malfoy Manor," I answered. Something moved in the darkness and a very short man stepped forward. No, not a man, I thought, it was a goblin.

"You are Harry Potter's sister," he pointed out, eyeing us over.

"Yes, how did you know?" I asked, keeping my position at the top of the stairs.

"I've seen your picture in the papers many times," he said.

"Okay, you know me, but who are you?" I asked.

"Griphook. I work at Gringott's," he answered. Delia and I walked down the stairs, stopping at the bottom.

"You're the only one here?" Delia asked.

"Well, not anymore am I?" he said sarcastically. The door at the top of the stairs burst open and Bellatrix stepped forward. She eyed me, a smile that sent chills down my spine on her face.

"Back so soon, are we?" she asked in her high pitched voice.

"Couldn't wait to see you," I scoffed. The smile disappeared and she stomped down the stairs.

"Then let's go play," she spat, grabbing my arm. "You stay here," she ordered Delia. She yanked me up the stairs and into the living room, pushing me to the floor. A man in a black robe was standing against the wall, the sword in his hands. Bellatrix walked up to him, taking the sword and turning to me. "Where did you get this," she asked, venom dripping from every word.

"I found it," I replied. She knelt down beside me, her face inches from mine and her eyes burning with hate.

"You stole it and I demand to know how!" she yelled, standing up. Stole it? I was intrigued. She thought I'd stolen it from her. My mind was working, connecting the dots, as she yelled. She handed the sword back to the man and pulled out her wand. "If you won't tell me, I'll have to make you," she hissed. She flicked her wand and pain ran through my body and a scream erupted from my throat. It felt like millions of needles constantly piercing my skin. She laughed, flicked her wand again, and the pain went away. "How did you get the sword?" she asked again.

"I found it," I insisted.

"Liar!" she shouted. "Dirty mud-bloods like you don't find Wizarding artifacts like this," she said, pointing to the sword. "I want everyone to know you're a dirty, thieving mud-blood,," she smirked, reaching into her robes. She flicke her wand again and my arms and legs were pinned to the floor. She cackled and crawle on top of me, holding a knife in her hand. She bent over my arm, dragging the blade over the skin. I screamed out in pain as she dug it in deeper, carving into the flesh.

She pulled away, smiling and admiring her work. My blood stained the blade of the knife. The word 'mud-blood' was cut into my skin, droplets of blood rolling down my arm. She stood up and I could hear footsteps echoing into the room.

"What are you doing Bellatrix?" Lucius Malfoy asked. He stood by the entrance, his wife to his left and Draco to his right. I felt a tear roll down the side of my face and I turned away from them.

"Just having fun," she responded.

"You know you're supposed to call The Dark Lord if you find one of them," he scolded. Suddenly there was a loud pop and Bellatrix's wand flew across the room. My legs and arms were released and I jumped up Harry, Ron, and Hermione rushing into the room. Lucius and his wife pulled out their wands and they started throwing spells, the trio fighting back. Draco ran over to me, dodging a stunning spell that came within an inch of his head. He pulled out a wand, my wand, and handed it to me.

"Go!" he shouted, pushing me towards the trio who joined hands with a house elf I'd never seen before. Bellatrix gave a high pitched scream, throwing her knife just before we apparated.

We landed on a beach the sand cool against my wounded arm. We all stood up, cheering and hugging as we realized we were all okay. Then the small body still laying on the beach silenced us all. Harry ran over to the house elf, the knife sticking out of his chest. I could see their lips moving, but I couldn't hear what they were saying. The house elf stopped talking and I could see he was dead.

Harry insisted he bury him himself and the rest of us went inside the small cottage that stood on the edge of the beach. We sat in the living room, everyone quiet and looking at the floor.

"How did you find us?" I asked, breaking the silence.

"Harry saw you at Malfoy Manor before, we thought we'd start there," Hermione explained. Harry came back in, his clothes dirty and wet from the rain that started as he was working. We separated, finding places to sleep for the night. I was exhausted and all I wanted to do was collapse onto a bed. Delia and I shared a room while Griphook took his own and Harry, Ron and Hermione slept on couches downstairs.

"I'm going to take a shower," Delia said, leaving the room. I yawned, pulling my wand out of my pocket, a folded up piece of paper falling to the floor. I picked it up, unfolding it and reading:

Quendie,
     One of the items you're looking for is in Hogwarts: The Room of Requirement. I'll be there everyday waiting for you.

                                                                                 Love always,
                                                                                   Draco

My heart fluttered in my chest. I hadn't known how he slipped the note into my pocket, but I was glad he did. Not only did we have another lead for a Horcrux, but he loved me. As much as I'd wished I didn't, I loved him, too. I was more awake than ever, but I had to wait until morning to convince the others I had to go to Hogwarts. I stuffed the note into my pocket and laid down in the bed. I racked my brain for excuses to go until I drifted off to sleep. Even after being captured and tortured, I felt happy. It was just what I needed to end Voldemort's reign of terror.