Chapter 2- A Real Meeting

I groan and roll over onto my side.  Funny, I don’t remember going to bed.  I don’t remember my room being this bright either…

No

No

No no no no no.  This can’t be happening.  Not like my mother or Emma.  I promised Daddy that I wouldn’t leave him, that I would stay safe with him and not be one of the unlucky ones who were taken by them.  I wouldn’t—won’t become a bride to one of those freaks.

I flinch, remembering the way my father would phrase it.  “Now listen, Alice, and listen good.  Some wack-job scientists in Russia have created some sort of ‘super race’ as they like to call it.  I call it messing with nature.  Do you know how every human has a pair of chromosomes?”  At this point, I would nod and widen my eyes, my innocent 12 year old mind trying to wrap around the information he was giving to me.  “Well, girls have two X chromosomes, and boys have one X and one Y.  That is the natural order of things.  These scientists have created a race of mutants that have two Y chromosomes.  They look like us, they talk like us, but they are not us.  They.  Are.  Not.  Human.” 

I suck in another deep breath, slowly getting up.  I am in a small but cozy white room.  There are no windows, a cot and desk in one corner, and a drawer and bookcase in the other.  I step out of the bed and make my way to the door.  The door suddenly flies open and I stumble backwards.  It’s one of them.  I can see him much more clearly in the bright light of my cell.  Scruffy dark brown hair frames high cheekbones, an aristocratic nose, and big, deceptively innocent blue eyes.  He is tall, at least six feet, and looks to be about twenty years old. 

                “What do you want!?” I screech, putting as much bite in my words as I can and scrambling to the far side of the twin bed.  He has the good grace to look mildly shocked. 

                “It’s ok.  I swear, we are not going to hurt you.  You will be taken care of.  And I’m Xavier.”  At this, he smiles gently, as if expecting me to magically agree with him.

                “’Taken care of’ as in killed?  Like all those other missing girls your kind stole?  Like my mother and sister?”  My breath hitches and I fall down onto the cot, burying my face in pillow.  I can hear Xavier step into the room and close the door.  He walks over to the bed and starts rubbing my back.  “Don’t freaking touch me!” I snarl, horrified that he drove me to tears twice now.  Daddy would want me to be a fighter.  I think of what my father would tell me to do in this situation. 

“God forbid, Alice, if they do capture you, you can’t give in to them.  They kidnap girls and women to become their brides, so they can reproduce.  These creatures are stronger, faster, and more beautiful than any of our men.  They consider themselves gods.  Promise me that you’ll stay safe.  Promise.  I can’t lose you like I lost your mother.”

Promise

Promise

Promise me Alice.

Daddy, I promise.

                “Get out.”  My voice holds no emotion, no feeling except for an undercurrent of rage and sorrow and absolute hopelessness.  Tears track down my face in rivulets, and I look him straight in the eye.  I don’t speak another word.

                Xavier gets up and leaves, shutting the door quietly behind him.  I slump down and cry softly into my pillow.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So chapter two is up!  yayy doesn't it sound exciting!

Just my opinion!

Anyways, remember to vote and comment and I'll like... love you forever