Chapter 8- Who's Your Daddy?

Chapter 8- Alice

I wake up in the plush leather armchair of an airplane, curled up in a tight little ball, the way I usually rest.  Blinking away the sleep, I sit up and stretch my arms and legs, getting up only slightly unsteadily. 

A strong set of hands grip my waist, steadying me while fingers rub their way across my stomach and hips, making my breath catch.  Xavier. 

The temptation to lean back those few remaining inches, to place my body flush against his is almost too much.  Gritting my teeth, I lurch forward out of Xavier’s grip, whipping around to pierce him with a glare. 

“Just what are you playing at,” I hiss at him.  My face is flushed, and I am angry at myself for liking the feel of his body.  I shouldn’t, it is wrong. 

“Do me a favor and try not to lie to yourself, Alice.  You liked it.  You’re just too scared to admit it to yourself,” Xavier hisses right back, staring deep into my own eyes. 

Blue, so blue.  Like the ocean, like warm summer breezes and…

Stop.  Stop.  That’s just what he wants.  He wants you to fall for him.  Don’t give in, I tell myself.  Don’t give in, you are a fighter. 

“I was just coming to get you.  We’ll be landing in Refuge City soon.” 

I’d heard of Refuge City before.  It was the first place the scientists had taken the Ys when they came to America.  They built it into a massive city, independent from the US government and the other states.  It was the equivalent of Vatican City in Italy, only it was the size of Manhattan and had a population of almost 5 million people. 

“Why are we going to Refuge City?” I ask, genuinely curious. 

“First of all, our coven needs food, shelter, and other amenities.  All the recourses we need to track Emma and bring her home are there, too.” 

“Please fasten your seatbelts, we wil be landing momentarily,” the pilot says over the intercom.  Sitting back, I snap in the buckle and lean over to look out of the window.

It is a bright, sunny day; the white fluffy clouds giving everything a tranquil feeling.  There are fields of grain and vegetables surrounding the city.

Refuge City itself is magnificent.  It is incredibly modern, with gleamingly silver skyscrapers.  As we pass over the tall spires, I can see the traffic stop and go on the streets. 

It is beautiful, modern, larger than life, essentially, a physical representation of the Ys themselves.

We fly to the outskirts of the city landing on the tarmac with barely a jostle.  “And off we go,” Xavier says, and I look at him in confusion.

“We just got here.  Where could we possibly be going?” I question.