Chapter 7- Feelings

Xavier's POV

                Stepping down from the machine, I look around the room.  My speech has calmed most of the people, and they are clearing out this very minute.  Oh, God, I hope nobody gets hurt.  We haven’t done anything wrong.  My coven does take women; that much is true.  But we do it to survive. 

                Each Y only takes one woman as his bride.  We are drawn to our life partner; it has something to do with our genes.  That’s why I chose Alice.  I was instinctively drawn to her. 

We never kill anyone or take hundreds of girls.  It’s the bad inner city covens that resort to measures such as that, to sate their own insatiable greed. 

I see Zack heading towards me, leading a confused looking Alice. 

“Here,” he says, practically throwing her into my arms.  “I can’t find Emma,” he says, frantically running his hands through his short brown hair. 

“We’ll find her.  I swear it.  But right now we have to leave.  Right now.  The radio signals are showing that the humans will be at the compound in less than an hour, and we have to evacuate everyone long before then.”  Zack nods, looking determined.  Turning he walks away to the plane.  “I don’t want to start a war over this,” I mutter quietly to myself. 

I turn to Alice, hating what I am about to do, but I know it is absolutely necessary.  I have to give her a choice. 

“Alice, I know you hate it here with us, but… you could stay here.  At the compound.  The humans would find you and take you back to your family.  I am so sorry I took you against your will; I didn’t want it to end this way.  You are right; you deserve a choice.”  My heart is breaking as I speak my instincts screaming at me to take her in my arms and never let go.

She opens her mouth to speak, looking right at me.  Her eyes flick back and forth slightly, studying my own.  I can’t read the emotion on her face.

All I can think of is… what have I done?

Alice’s POV

You deserve a choice.”

His words ring in my ears, and endless cacophony of noise.  What do I say?  I just want to go home to daddy, back to my safe, normal life. 

The only problem is… I can’t leave Emma.  Not without knowing she is safe.  It’s obvious she will never leave Zack, but at least she was happy. 

I can’t help but think of how I probably caused this.  Daddy would have no doubt alerted the authorities, and they would have been scouring the countryside for hours now. 

It would be horrible for me to leave now, it would only cause more problems for the Y’s and their brides.  And I cannot leave Emma.  I care about her too much for that. 

But deep, deep down, I find myself beginning to care for Xavier too.  As much as I want to deny it, I am attracted to him in a way that makes the thought of leaving him painful.  I can’t leave him.

Not that I would tell him that, of course. 

“I’m going to stay… with you,” I blurt out before I can overthink my decision.  Hope lights up Xavier’s face like a kid’s on Christmas morning.  Jesus, he might as well be in love with me from the look he is giving me now.

Their kind can’t love.

They only take.

That’s what Daddy would say. 

“Really, oh, that’s great Alice.”  I don’t have the heart to tell him that as soon as we find Emma, I’m going to leave him and never look back, feelings or no feelings.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 7!  This was more of a filler but you are starting to find out Alice's more... romantic feelings now.  Yayy!  Chapter 8 is going to be amazing, it's my favoirte so far so.....

Please Vote And Comment!