Chapter 6- Missing and Found

Alice's POV

                There is a soft knock at my door.  “Come in,” I say, hoping its Emma.  It’s not.  Xavier steps in, looking for all the world like a real life Adonis come to life.  “What are you doing here?  Haven’t you caused enough trouble?  I just want to be alone.” 

                “I truly am sorry for the events that have transpired.  If there is anything I can do or get for you…?”  I shake my head no, then pause to reconsider.

                “Actually, yes.  You can get me an iPod with these songs on it.”  I walk to the desk and write down my favorite songs.  The list is about 20 lines long.  “Also, these books.”  I write down the names of ten titles.  “Then, you can leave.”  I smile innocently, and hand him the list.  When he doesn’t move, I nod toward the door, and turn my back to him. 

                “You know, I’ll be expecting a favor from you in return for all this stuff.”  I stare at him numbly.  WTF?  “I’ll come to collect later.”  With a sly wink, he exits the room, and I stare at the closed door, dumbfounded. 

I sit down on the bed with a huff, annoyed that he was able to turn that conversation in his favor so quickly.  I thought I had the upper hand.  Like Emma said, Xavier is going to fight for what he wants.  Unfortunately, I am what he wants.  It’s a good thing Daddy taught me to be a fighter.  I never thought I would have to fight for my freedom, though. 

                I think back to when everything was so much simpler.  I had Mom back, and Emma, and I would run around and play without a care in the world.  Then later, when we reached high school, everything began to change.  Emma was always more outgoing, even though she insisted I was the prettier one.  Freshman year, Mom was taken.  Junior year, Emma was taken, and all I had left was Daddy.  He tried his best, but even he couldn’t patch up the holes in my life.  I was always the shy one, but Emma and Mom were the only people I could ever open up to. 

                I hear another knock, louder this time, and more frantic.  It had better not be Xavier.  I get up and open the door myself.  Without waiting to be asked in, Zack storms into the room.  “Have you seen Emma lately?  I don’t know where she is, and I have a really bad feeling.”

                “I saw her about an hour ago; we were talking in her room.”  I am scared now, at his tone and the ferocity of his speech.  “Have you checked all the rooms that she might have been in?”

                “Yes, I have.  She is nowhere, it’s like she disappeared.”  Just then, Xavier bursts into the room.  His eyes look frantic, like that of a caged animal, desperate to get out.  At the same time, they are fierce and determined.  “Xavier, what’s going on?”

                “Code red.”  Xavier speaks in curt, clipped tones, like something terrible is amiss.

                “Shit we have to go.  Now.”  Zack looks seriously scared.  He grabs my arm, and for once, I don’t protest.  We step out into the hallway, and everyone is in a frantic rush, heading toward the training center.  It is easily twice the size of the dining hall, and I see assorted workout equipment scattered across the middle of the floor.  A jogging track circles the outside of the room.  Hundreds of people are packed inside, all clamoring.  The stench of fear permeates the air, making it thick and humid. 

                “What’s a code red?” I whisper to Zack as Xander walks to a raised platform and turns to face the crowd. 

                “A very serious problem.”  Zack stops speaking as we turn to face Xavier at the front.  He stands up on a workout machine, which I would have found funny another time except for now.

                His voice rings out, quieting the clamors of the frantic crowd.  “It seems someone has betrayed our location to the human police.  Several SWAT teams and military forces are traveling here as we speak. We need to move to the assorted safe houses scattered across the desert.  Please remember to stay calm.  Go to your rooms, take only what is absolutely necessary, then please proceed to the docking stations.  The helicopters and planes are being readied for takeoff.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There you go another update.  This one is better and more interesting, if I say so myself.  Sorry but that's all for tonight but there will be more later on in the week.  I need to update more on Lost in the Neverever also.  It's hard working on two stories at once. (*phew*)  

So please comment and vote

:P