Chapter 21- Something Worth Fighting For

Heartbeat, a heartbeat,

I need a hearbeat, a hearbeat

Tell me, would you kill

To save a life

Tell me, would you kill

To prove you're right?

Crash, crash, burn

Let it all burn

This hurricane's

Chasing us all underground

~Hurricane

~30 Seconds to Mars

Alice’s POV

I don’t waste my breath trying to scream.  No one here can or will help me. 

“Alice, I know you’re in there.  Open the door please,” Lucifer asks in a saccharine sweet voice, but coming from him, it sounds more like a command. 

I do not move.  I hardly even dare to breathe, thinking that if I hold still and don’t make any noise, he might just go away.

But maybe that’s just wishful thinking.

My heart almost stops, then starts beating double-time when Lucifer starts hitting in the door.  With each blow, a bit more of the door bends in my direction.  Each bend is shaped like a fist; I can see the individual hollows where his fingers and knuckles make contact with the hard metal, pushing it inwards like it is nothing but Play-doh. 

The pounding ceases for a moment as Lucifer begins to speak.  “I’m waiting.  I promise it will hurt a lot less if you aren’t so damn difficult now.” 

My eyes scan the room frantically, searching in vain for something, anything I can use to protect myself.  I run to the closet, which I failed to notice in my frantic search earlier, and wrench it open.  I almost laugh out loud with relief, but stop myself.  It is actually a storage closet.  Brooms and mops litter the inside walls, and I grab one of the brooms.  The thick wooden handle is comforting in its weight. 

Lucifer’s pounding has increased in its tempo; it now sounds like electronic music beats from a keyboard.  I turn to face the door just as Lucifer’s arm breaks through the metal door.  His knuckles are scarred and bloody.

He shakes his hand out, then grips his fingers on either side of the small hole and starts to pull.  The metal gives a terrible groan as it is wrenched apart on either side.  I almost cover my ears and drop the broom, but I force myself to ignore the pain and keep moving.  I line up on one the side of the door, waiting for the monster to come and get me. 

After a few seconds, although they felt like hours, Lucifer has widened the hole enough to reach in his full arm.  He starts to feel around for the door handle.  Just before he can make contact with it, I slam the end of my broom as hard as I possibly can against his fingers. 

The sickening crack of bones breaking rings out, replacing the sound of ripping metal.  Lucifer screams, a high pitched sound that chills the blood in my body.