[Revised/Edited] Episode 50: Reaching for the Lost

-"The shadows cover everything, including the light. It can seem as if there's no escape from them, but there is. Those remaining faint glimmers of light called 'hope'"

*An*

"Has he been poisoned?" Wanikiya asked, standing up from his seat on the wooden floor.

"No, Arima's trying to possess his body," Boukyaku said, narrowing his eyes. "Though something about it is off."

"What?" I said. Chills ran through my spine. "That's... is that allowed?"

"It's on the borderline between legal and illegal magic, and forbidden magic. Here she is using it for a tournament, not to make Hal her slave."

"That's quite the fine line if you ask me," Sarah said as she stood beside me.

Vermeil nodded.

Arima stepped toward a dull-eyed Hal. She scowled sympathetically as she directed her spirits further into his body. "Sorry."

Hal raised his chin, flashing his signature grin. Needles struck both of Arima legs. Standing up, he tied her arms with silver strings. "What did you think of my acting? Pretty good, eh?" he said with a wink.

His opponent stared at the strings. A light chuckle escaped her lips. "You got me there. Spiritus!" A white orb floated between the two of them, glowing like a pearl in sunlight. Like with her battle against Alto, a powerful energy wave sent Hal flying into the barrier. The strings around her unraveled. "Or rather, I got you."

"Venomous Draconis." Poison emerged from the needles like the vines of a pumpkin. The vines gathered together until a purple dragon took shape. "Spirit erosion!" The dragon opened its mouth, and swallowed the white sphere.

Arima closed her eyes. "Spiritus." The poison dragon exploded like a firework. The poison raining down vanished before it could touch either of the students. She touched her stomach and collapsed to the floor. "I...think I might've overdone it."

Her opponent chuckled as he closed his eyes. "Bad timing, Hal." She gripped her head and fell to the floor as well.

Haroun and his friends dispersed the barrier.

"The winner of this match is Arima! We will conclude this round tomorrow," Boukyaku said as Alto, and Vermeil ran to help their friends up.

Xue stood up. "It seems that only one of us will make it to the final," she said, turning away from me.

Sarah tilted her head. "What's her issue? She was acting friendly before, now she seems colder."

"I wish I knew," I said, tilting my head. "You've known her longer than I have."

She scoffed. "Only by a day."

***

[Hours later]

"You're finally awake," I said, smiling at my teammate.

Hal touched his forehead and rose from the bed. "Urgh. What happened?" He was in a section of the room where he had just battled. Except that it was no longer empty. Futons now dotted the tatami mat floor.

"You lost the match," Alto said as he walked in. He had changed into a white yukata with a light blue sash.

Hal turned to look at me. I also wore a yukata, only mine was purple with a pink sash. "Why are you all dressed like that?"

"We're going to the baths. The others already went on ahead of us," I responded. I ran my hand through the soft texture of the garment. "It feels weird to wear this, though."