Episode 92: Unmasked

"Live as a Shadow"

*Nuk*

"Nuk, when are you coming back?" Nahimana's voice rang over my headpiece.

I sighed. "I'll be there soon. Don't send the others to find me. I can-" I came to a sudden stop as I heard an explosion in the distance. There were also sections of the forest were on fire. Smaller blasts shook the forest like bombs being dropped.

"What was that noise?" Nahimana asked.

I adjusted my ear piece. "I'll be there soon, but first I have something to check out. It might have something to do with our foretold leader."

She scoffed. "You're serious? It sounds like you're making excuses. But..."

I chuckled as I pressed the off button. "You know me well, 'Boss'." I eyed every corner of the forest for a source of water. Two meters away I found a lake nearby. I removed my cloak and dipped it into the lake. With a coating of water, I ran straight into the burning forest. Flames jumped up and down in the darkness like mini solar flares.

"An," muttered a girl. It sound like Sarah. I scanned the burning forest for the voice. The deeper I went into the forest, the weaker the muttering became. It wasn't because I was getting farther, the girl was losing strength as time went on.

At last, I came to a clearing that miraculously wasn't on fire despite having been completely surrounded by burning trees. I kneeled down to get a good look at Sarah. Her fair skin was singed by the flames. I stared at those blue eyes of hers. They were like those belonging to the natives of the northwestern continental countries or a member of the Rios clan such as myself (even though I didn't inherit their sapphire blue eyes).

"Who are you?" a voice boomed. A boy wearing a cat mask charged toward the girl and me. His arms and legs were covered by chains surrounded by blue flames. "Are you one of the foreigners?"

I stood up. "Foreigners?" I chuckled. "I guess I am a foreigner." I summoned a pale turquoise wand. "The way you're speaking... Is it safe to assume that you're one of those eight bigots going around the school terrorizing the exchange students? More specifically, the one whom attack Adela on our first school day here?"

The cat boy dashed past me. He threw his knives at a figure in the dark. An ivory sword swung against the knives, sending flames flying toward the sky. The forest shook as the cat boy clashed again with the ivory sword boy.

"Ignoring me, huh?" I asked. "Oh well."

I grinned and unsummoned my wand. It seemed that the ivory swordsman, had it under control. As I was turning away from the fight, flames came flying toward Sarah. I grabbed her and warped out of there in a flash of light. I winced as soon as I had finished teleporting, the Sarah's skin was warm, too warm.

Luckily I had teleported us to a fire free section of the forest. In front of us was a cavern.

I muttered a slight prayer. "Please don't let there be wild animals inside that cave right now."

I emitted a soft light from my hands, allowing me to see in the darkness. The cavern felt devoid of life, there wasn't even a single bat around.

"An, be careful," Sarah muttered in my arms.

I snickered. "Jeez, you dare utter another guy's name in front of me while carrying you like this? Harsh."

She turned and grabbed my cloak. "Don't die."

I removed her hands off of me. Gently, I put her down in the widest area of the cave, a seven by seven foot space.

She turned wildly as if suffering a nightmare. I sighed. "Sarah, calm down."