Episode 117: Student Council Elections

"The will to decide one's own future is a powerful will indeed"

*Nyima*

I opened my eyes and saw Lei sleeping with his head on my bed. I glanced around and saw that I wasn't back in Ms. Key's home or in the suite but in the nurse's office.

I tapped Lei's head. He opened his eyes and hugged me as soon as he saw me awake.

"Let go of me!" I yelled, my face heating up.

He let go of me. "Sorry," he said. His eyes were red. "I'm sorry, I couldn't help you."

"Don't blame yourself. Where is Mr. Suzuran?"

The door opened and in came Mr. Suzuran. His face was full of worry.

"What's wrong? Did something happen?" I said.

He waved his hand around. "Don't mind me. I'll be fine, knowing that you two are awake now. You should get going, the elections are about to start."

I got up and fixed my hair. It must have been difficult for Mr. Suzuran...knowing the lengths his daughter was willing to go to in order to kick us out.

I had to change things here, I don't want for us to be isolated, that was the reason I decided to run for class representative. "How do I look?"

"You look fine," Lei said.

I smiled and opened the door. The halls were empty. Lei and I made our way to the gymnasium. The area around the gymnasium was crowded with different colored boxes were lined up near the door. Students were still trickling into the gymnasium so there was still time for me to give my speech.

"That is why you first years should elect me for your representative," Sarah said.

"Lei, Nyima," Adela said. "Where were you two? Eien, Miwa, and now Sarah have finished their speeches. The only ones that remain is the only Kyuu Seishian running for representative, and you."

A girl with short green hair walked to the center of the gymnasium and took the microphone from Sarah. "Hello. I am sure most of you know me, but for those who don't, I am Hisui Suzuran. I am running for class representative. I hope to rebuild the bond between our native students and the foreign students.

"It is wrong to treat them differently because they're not from here. They have hopes and dreams just like us. The foreign students bring with them an outside perspective. We as a school have grown to think only in a few ways. We have isolated ourselves from our own peers. If this continues even our own clan won't survive as we further isolate ourselves within our branches.

"As class representative I promise you that I will create a more inclusive atmosphere. We have pushed the foreign students into their own section of the school, ensuring that we never see them, that isn't right. We are hurting them, and at the same time hurting ourselves. My older sister... she wished to get along with foreigners yet she felt it was a betrayal to our mother...I'm sure that our mother wouldn't have wanted her to do what she did."

I smiled. "So, she's Mayu's sister," I said. "She seems different from her."

"Saying such words to this kind of audience?" Sarah said, resting her chin on her fist. "Will she get elected?"

"Well there is us. We knew it'll be hard for us, and while her saying this might not change things, I wouldn't mind having her as our representative." I stood up. "Well, it's my turn!"

Hisui handed me the microphone and walked over to sit down with Sarah and the others as if we knew each other.

"My name is Nyima Taiyang. I am a citizen of Wahkan. I came here to Kyuu-Hanabira to learn magic. I had hoped to make friends from various countries, but all I found was dislike. Eight of your fellow Kyu Seishinians attacked us and even went as far as trying to kill us. One of those Kyu Seishinians was Yuuta...a boy who I thought was my friend. Even though it was a lie, it gave me a glimpse to the kinds of bonds that can develop between Kyu Seishinians and us. As class president, I won't just work for the foreign exchange students but also for those born here in Kyu Seishin. I will increase funding for the dorms to rebuild them. I will work with my fellow council members to renovate the path between here and the mountain where the first-years live so that one can see with ease when going up and down the mountain at night. I will also work to increase lunch time..."