Chapter 1

Aubrey Newben pulls into the hotel parking lot. Being in Lubbock, Texas, without anyone that she knows, for a couple of days has worn her out. Her mind floods with memories of her family and her aunt, both that are out of reach. Some from death some because of the choices she made. Shaking her head to clear her mind she begins to get her sleeping son out of his car seat and carries him inside along with her purse.

"Excuse me miss?" The young women at the counter voices as she walks around the edge towards Aubrey. "I wanted to give you a invitation to a fellowship meal we are having at the church tomorrow. There will be child care."

Thank you Lord! This is just what she has been praying for without really knowing it. Maybe she isn't going to be in Lubbock, Texas for long but being around fellow Christians is what she needs to lift her spirits.

"Thank you," she tells the lady taking the card. She continues up to her room laying Cole on the bed once inside. The two full size beds have the usual striped comforter and the small TV directly in front of the beds is softly playing a Hallmark movie. After changing him into his pajamas she locks the hotel room door securely and gets in bed beside him.

The next morning she and Cole eat the hotel breakfast before heading back up to the stale room. Aubrey places the two-year-old boy on the bed and watches him scamper on top of the pillows. She smiles and climbs up beside him. He cuddles up close to her as she flips the TV to cartoons.

Soon it is close the time the Fellowship Meal starts so they set out to find the church.

"Will there be other kids, Momma?" Cole asks from the back seat.

Her heart sinks hearing the longing in his voice. Cole hadn't had the opportunity to interact with many kids his age because. Her Aunt Kim kept him while she worked at the local restaurant back home and the church they had attended didn't have many little kids that regularly went. "I'm sure there will be, big boy," she replies with a sad smile. 

After reluctantly dropping Cole off at the nursery Aubrey finds her way to the other young women. She fell in conversation with a group of ladies about her age. They discussed Scripture, shopping and worship music among other things.  

After talking a little while longer Aubrey decided that it was time to go get Cole. As she walks up to the nursery door she notices that Cole is playing with two other boys that appear to be twins. She smiles and steps to the side not wanting to interrupt their playing.

"Momma!" He cries with joy when he notices her.

"Hey big boy!" As he runs to her the twins also run to their mother. "Did you have fun?"

"Yes ma'am! That's Markus and Jakeston they are my friends," he tells her the bright smile he wears melting her heart with happiness.

"That's great, would you like to tell them bye?" She offers, he nods vigorously. As they approach the young women, that doesn't appear to be much older than Aubrey herself, she turns with a smile.

"Hi, I'm Raely Long," she introduces sticking her hand out.

"Aubrey Newben." Aubrey extends a shaky hand.

"Would y'all like to have lunch with us?" The question catches her slightly off guard, but delights her.

"Uh, sure," Aubrey answers.

The two mothers meet at a small and quiet café just down the road. With it being early for lunch time not many other customers are in the cafe.

"So where are you from?" Raely asks after they order their drinks.

"Uh, I'm from Big Spring," Aubrey answers uneasily. "I um, am staying here for a few days."

By her simple nod it seems that Raely picks up on things that Aubrey didn't say."That's great! What's his name?" Rae asks gesturing to Cole.