Chapter 7

Time seems to stand still and Jedediah's mind freezes it seems all he can do is stare at the scene in front of him. Then as is if someone flipped the switch to his instincts back on he jumps and runs towards Cole. In one swift motion he scoops the little body up just as the new found mother cow charges. He feels him self being pushed down and catches himself with his elbows to keep from smashing Cole.

"Run to the fence, Cole." Jedediah whispers raising his chest up as best he could. As soon as little legs are running Jedediah clasps on the ground the rock hard skull still pressing into him.

"Go to the feed room." He hears Aubrey's sweet voice command before his world turns black.

Aubrey gasps as Jedediah's body comes in contact with the rock solid head of the bovine once more. The force crushes him farther into the ground, if that is possible. She racks her brain of something to do when suddenly a thought comes to mind. She uses her high school track skills to race to the feed barn where she grabs a sack of cattle cubes. She struggles under the fifty pounds back to the pen.

The sound of a feed sack makes the heifer turn from her victim and rush towards the bag. Aubrey takes this chance and rushes to Jedediah's side. Finding him unconscious she carefully scoots him under the fence railing, safe.

"Momma, is he going to be okay?" Cole's tear streaked voice squeaks as he places a hand on her leg.

She takes a deep breath. How do you tell a two year old that you don't know?

Lord I keep Jedediah safe.

Noticing his left wrist is swollen she calls the ambulance before finding Ken's number. She tells him a rough version of the story jousting with her emotions. As she gets off the phone with Ken the ambulance pulls up and paramedics jump out. Aubrey once again gives a rough version of the story.

"His pulse is pretty strong so that is good. Looks like his wrist is broken. Lets get him to the hospital." The head paramedic instructs before turning to Aubrey and Ken. "We will take him to Covenant." She continues on, but Aubrey gets lost in her prayer.

Lord, I know that you have this all in your plans.

"Miss Aubrey, you okay?" Ken asks picking the twins up as she has Cole in her arms. She nods putting a smile on. "Kate and I can take Markus and Jakeston if you want."

"No, it's fine I already have there seats in my car. I'll just follow y'all?"

"Sure. I'll go pick Kate up and then meet you at the gate?" He suggests.

"Okay." She nods. Taking the boys in the house she packs them toys and some food. She could tell that they were getting hungry so she got them sandwiches to eat while they were in the car.

"Lets go get in the car boys." She announces with false enthusiasm. They nod and follow her out the door. After they are buckled up and all set she turns on her How Can It Be album by Lauren Daigle. Down the road about a hour she looks back and sees three sleeping little boys. She smiles a little and sings along with O'Lord.

At the hospital she glances back to see Cole waking up. She gets out and unbuckles him.

"I can sit in the car with the twins if you want to go in." Kate's friendly voice sings.

"Uh, I'm not sure." She admits her hesitation.

"Momma, can I go see Jedi with you?" Cole mumbles still trying to wake up from his nap.

"We will have to see what the doctors say." She answers with a small nod to Kate.

Kate's smile grows. "Just text me if you need anything."

Aubrey nods before starting to walk to the waiting room. Once there she finds Ken sitting in a corner his hat over his knee. She walks over taking the chair next to him. He glances up and smiles warmly.

"They said that they took him back to surgery to try and repair his left wrist. It was shattered." He tells her.

"Did they think it was fixable?" She finally gets the courage to ask the question that had been weighing on her heart for a while.

"They said that it looked like it would be a long recovery, but it would be usable again." He reassures her.

After a hour and a half the doctor calls for 'Friends and family of Jedediah Williams'.

"How is he?" Ken asks the doctor.

"The surgery get really well. He is currently in recovery and hasn't woken up. When he does we will let you know and you can go visit."

"Thank you." Ken answers.

Reclaiming the chair beside Ken's Aubrey sighs. Cole had fallen back asleep in her arms and her nerves where starting to blow away in the wind. Guilt, thankfulness, worry and fear are over taking her. How did a event so small and so innocent turn into a complete disaster?

"Aubrey, he is awake and asking for you." Ken's voice interrupts her swirling thoughts.

"Me?" She asks in surprise. His nod confirms the impossible. His boss, who he has known much longer, is here.

With a deep breath she follows the nurse down the hall as Cole sleeps on her shoulder. When they stop at room 300 Aubrey takes a breath. One question still churns in her mind. Why did he want her?

Lord, I need Your peace. She prays stepping into the room.

Jedediah hears the door open and turns his head wincing at the pain in his back. When a short Aubrey carrying a sleeping Cole meets his eyes he can't help, but smile. A small weary smile creeps onto her face giving him the indication she has been worried. 

"Dare I ask how you are feeling?" Her voice is barely above a whisper.

He chuckles a little. "I would tell you that I have never been better if it wasn't for the fact I am in a hospital and not on a horse."

Aubrey laughs a little and Cole starts to stir.

"How's the little dude?"

"He's fine. A little shook up and clingy, but I don't mind... Thank you." She finally meets his soft gaze.

"It's nothing." He smiles genuinely.

"It's nothing that you have a shattered wrist, bruised ribs and a perfect imprint of a bovine skull on your back? Please, I know enough about you wild cowboys to know that a broken bone or bruise means nothing until you can't still be wild." She raises a eyebrow while wearing a small smile.

Chuckling he answers, "I have lived through worse." He shrugs.

"Sure, but that doesn't mean that this isn't torture."

"You are really intent on getting me to admit that I hate this aren't you? Well since you must hear me say the words... Yes, this is not fun."

"Thank you, now I can use that against you since you will be staying with the boys and I the next couple of days." She tells him with satisficed smile.

"No arguing Jedediah." Ken's deep voice sounds behind Aubrey.

"What?! When did all this get decided? I am perfectly capable of taking care of myself." Jedediah spats becoming annoyed already.

"I know that you are, but since Traven and Rae won't be back for at least a day or two I figure that it wouldn't hurt for you to stay over there." Ken asserts only making Jedediah more confused.

"Why are they going to be a few days?"

"They are in a flash flood warning and so decided to stay put." Ken explains.

Jedediah nods. A few days with the prettiest woman he had seen didn't sound bad. But really? Why do they have to treat him like such a child?

A/N
Huge shout out to inthewest they have been a big support to me by voting on both this book and When Single Riders Come Together.