Chapter 40

Aubrey scurries around the kitchen to find eight cups, get ice in them, and have them on the table before the timer goes off for the shepard's pie in the oven. Beep! Beep! Beep! "Jedediah!"

"Yes, sweetheart?" He calls as he round the corner into the kitchen. "Woah, what happened in here?"

She shakes her head as she pulls the, now black, shepard's pie out of the smoke filled oven. "I burnt food. I actually burnt it." Beep, beep, beep! "Can you turn that thing off?"

He places a flying kiss on her cheek before standing in a chair and jerking the smoke alarm from the wall. "Silence," he mutters with a smile. Hopping off the chair he places the alarm on the dryer in the utility room before circling his arms around her waist and planting a kiss on her neck. "What can I do to help you?"

"Make new shepard's pie? Uninvite everyone? Get a new wife who has her head on straight?"

He quickly spins her around with a deep frown on his face. "Woah, woah, woah. Sweetheart, where is that coming from?"

She lays her head on his shoulder and lets out an irritated huff. "I don't know! I'm kind of stressing about tonight and for some reason I want everything to look perfect. I guess like we have a perfect life with everything in its spot, but everything isn't in its spot. Not when the food is burnt and-" The rest of the sentence is left hanging unsaid as Jedediah pulls her body flush to his and captures her lips with his.

"Now then, I am not getting a new wife and never will. We can fix something else or I can run into town and pick something up." He places a kiss on her forehead and begins to rub circles on her back. "Just relax, nobody is here to be served like a king. Besides, you already have your husband, who are you trying to impress?"

Dreamily she giggles and rests her head on his shoulder. "Well, no one really, but I don't think burnt meals is a very good way to start off a marriage."

Laughing he shakes his head. "Your burnt meals taste better than any kind of mine, I promise you. So! How bad is this shepard's pie?" Stepping around her he lifts the foil to see the mass of art. Once again he laughs. "Sweetheart, have you looked at this? It is not burnt."

With a roll of her eyes she steps behind him and peeks over his shoulder. "It is too! Do you see that black on the edges?"

"Aubrey, you can't analyze your food so hard. That is a very minor flaw in the beauty of this dish that I am about to eat before anyone has the chance to do a thing with it."

His almost poetic words make her giggle. "Okay, okay! I will leave it alone. I just need to makes some rolls and get the cobbler in the oven."

As she starts to move he stops her with a help up finger. "Correction, you can make the rolls and I will put the cobbler in the oven."

With a grateful smile she places a kiss on his cheek. "Would you mind getting Cole dressed in the close I have laid out on his bed?"

"I wouldn't mind a bit!"

It isn't long and everything is warm and ready to be eaten. Jedediah tosses a giggling Cole over his shoulder and turns around in circles as Cole makes airplane noises. Aubrey peeks her head around the corner of the kitchen and laughs at the lovely scene being displayed in front of her. The happiness that the two have brought into her life is unmeasurable. Only Christ's love and joy compares to the love and joy her new little family brings to her.

"Momma!" Cole cries as he runs to her with open arms.

She smiles and scoops him up into her arms. "I love you, Big Boy."