Chapter 19

"Momma? Mom are you okay? What's wrong?" Cole's concerned voice meets Aubrey's ears breaking her from her trance.

She wipes away the tears she didn't know were falling and smiles. "Yeah, I'm fine Big Boy. What are you doing back up?"

He turns away before answering, "I heard you crying, Momma, I couldn't listen to it anymore."

Silent tears now run fluently down her cheeks as she scoops him up and hugs him tight. "That's sweet Cole, but I'm fine. You go on back to bed."

He gives her a kiss on the cheek before scampering off to bed. Just then her phone rings, Jedediah. She sucks in a deep breath, wipes away her tears, clears her throat and answers it, "Hey."

"You don't sound like yourself, what's the matter?" He asks with concern coating his voice heavily.

She takes a deep breath trying to figure out what the best way to say it is.

"Sweetheart?"

"Yeah, uh, I, um, got a text from my sister," she tells him trying to keep her voice steady and strong.

On the other end of the line his face collects more worried lines. Grabbing his hat and pulling his keys from his pocket he tells her, "I'll be right there."

If it wasn't for the overwhelming emotions that cloud her mind she would smile, but a smile just didn't come with the thoughts that swim around in her mind. She stares at her phone then back at the picture of her and her family as a kid. It has always sat inside the cover of her bible, but she rarely looks at it, until now.

Before she knows it there is a soft knock at the door and then it is pushed open. Involuntarily she runs to him and wraps her arms tightly around his neck. The silent tears stream as though someone placed a water hose behind her eyes.

Jedediah kisses the top of her head and wraps his arms around her shaking body. He gently picks her up and carries her to the couch where he places her in his lap and cuddles her close to his chest. "Sweetheart, it's alright, I'm right here."

"They're-" she sobs, "they are gone."

A confused frown creases his face, but soon turns into a sad and almost depressed expression as he figures out just what she means. He pulls her tighter to him and kisses the side of her cheek. Her warm tears begin to wet his shirt, but he hardly notices as he tries his best to comfort her.
***

The next morning Jedediah finds himself waking up on Aubrey's couch with her curled up in his lap. He smiles weakly and gently brushes stray hairs from covering her face. Being careful not to wake her up he gets up from the couch, still holding her in his arms, and carries her to her bed. He gently pulls the covers over her and places a kiss on her cheek before slipping out of the room and back into the kitchen.

He searches the fridge until he finds a carton of eggs and some sausage. Just as he has everything in the skillet Cole stumbles into the kitchen. Jedediah smiles and picks the boy up. "Good morning, Cole."

"Dad! What are you doing here?" The little boy exclaims with excitement.

Jedediah quickly clasps his hand over the little boys mouth. "Shhh, your momma is sleeping." Cole seems like he's going to cry causing Jedediah to sigh. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have gotten upset. Just try to be quite until she gets up, okay?"

Cole nods and lays his head on Jedediah's shoulder.

"I've got to make a phone call, so can you go play in your room a minute? I'll have breakfast ready in a few minutes."