Chapter 33

Jedediah wraps his arms around Aubrey's slender waist and plants a kiss on her cheek. "I wish I could go with you. It's no fair that Cole and Raely and Mom and Stacy all get to see you in all those pretty dresses and I can't," he tells her dragging each 'and' out.

She giggles. "I'm sorry, but at least you won't have to suffer through hours of shopping."

He nods wearing a smile. "That might be true." He kisses her cheek. "You call me if you need anything, okay?"

She nods while wearing a smile. "Yes, I will."

A horn honks as they embrace in a tight hug. Jedediah chuckles. "I think Stacy is ready to go," he says as he scoops Cole up in his arms. "Be good for momma, okay? You have a good day and be sure everyone behaves."

"Yes sir, I will." He leans in close to whisper in Jedediah's ear. "And I'll make sure no body messes with momma."

Jedediah laughs. "Good. Thank you. I love you, Cole."

"I love you too, Daddy."

Jedediah smiles and lets the little blonde headed boy down. "That's not ever going to get old. You have a good day and I will see you when you get back. I love you, Aubrey."

She smiles and kisses his lips softly. "I love you too, Jedediah. You have a good day too."

Jedediah watches as his fiancé and son walk to his sisters car. His smile can only grow. There is no way in the world that he would change where he is right now. Unless, of course it was for the wedding to already be over. They mean the world to him.

As the silver Chevey suburban turns down the dirt road and disappears behind a cloud of dust he turns to the barn with his spurs jingling. He saddles a three year old bay gelding and loads him in the red 6666 branded trailer. He throws his leggings in the back seat of the ranch pickup and climbs into the drivers seat. As he cranks the engine the radio begins to play The Truth is Lying Next to You by Randy Travis. As the lyrics play on his smile widens. "That's it! She's going to love it." He yells pulling out his phone.
***

Aubrey's eyes widen as she gazes at all the white wedding dresses. There are dozens on end making it seem like they go on forever. It is a bit overwhelming to her, but she steps inside the door anyway.

Just as the others step in behind her an energetic young lady looking to be about two or three years younger than herself steps from behind the front desk. "Hi I'm-" she stops short. "Aubrey?"

Aubrey looks up from Cole and her eyes go wide. "Lacey?" Aubrey looks back at the others. "Could y'all give us a minute?"

They all nod and Lacey directs them to a waiting area. "I didn't know you lived close to Lubbock."

Aubrey nods. "I live in Guthrie it's about and hour from here. So you moved here?"

"Yeah, about two months ago. I got this job the first two weeks I was here and have been loving it!"

"Good. It seems like it is right up your alley."

Lacey smiles. "You haven't forgotten our dress up days. Anyway! I'm curious. Are you here with a friend?"

Aubrey looks down at the floor ashamed that she hadn't even tried to find a way to contact her family to let them on the news. "No, I'm getting married."

Lacey shrieks. "What? Aubrey I'm so happy for you! The same guy that I met?"

Aubrey smiles and nods happily. "Yes, Jedediah. Lacey, I'm sorry I wasn't sure if you would want to know what happens in my life anymore. I should have at least tried to contact and let you know. I am truly sorry."

Lacey places a hand on her sisters arm. "Aub, don't worry about it. I totally understand, but for the record as long as you want me to know I want to. I am really sorry for all the bad things that have been said and done. You have always been my big sister and I would love to make mends if that's possible."

A single tear runs down Aubrey's cheek. "Lace, you have no idea how long I have waited to hear those words. I would love that!"

They embrace as tears stream down both of their faces. "Cole looks just like you," Lacey whispers.

"Thank you, I think." They both laugh at that.

"Well do you want to start looking for your dress?"

Aubrey smiles. "Yes of course! Can I use your bathroom and make a phone call first though?"

"Sure! The bathroom is just over in that corner. I'll have Greg get the others a drink and when you get done you can introduce me to them."

"Awesome!"
***

Jedediah drapes a chain around his saddle horn and stuffs wire cutting pliers in his leggings pocket. As he swings his leg over his saddle his phone begins to ring. He pulls it from his pocket and a smile instantly pulls at his lips as he sees Aubrey's picture. "Hey sweetheart!"

"Hello my cowboy." Her voice is soft letting him know things aren't as bright and beautiful as they were when she left.

"Aubrey? What's wrong?"

"Nothing is wrong, but something unexpected did happen today."

He frowns worry beginning to set in. "What is it? You don't sound like nothing is wrong."

"I'm just a little shocked. I don't know how to say this, but Lacey, my sister, works at the dress store here in Lubbock."

He isn't sure what to say. "What did she say?"

"Well we talked about you a little bit and then she said that she would like to make mends."

He brightens a little at that. "Sweetheart that sounds good."

"It is, but- but I have a question."

"Anything."

"Would it be okay with you if I ask her to be a bridesmaid?"

A/N

I know that some of you wanted her to make mends with her family so here's a start!

What do you think?

Should she ask Lacey be a bridesmaid?