Chapter Seven: Alive

Harry turned his back away from the couple and steadied himself on the wall behind him. He took several deep breaths and closed his eyes. He ran a hand through his hair. He did anything he could to keep himself from passing out.

  He couldn't quite believe it. No, he wouldn't believe it. It wasn't possible for this to even happen, but somehow, they were standing there behind him. 

  Harry heard pairs of feet walking into to the room, but he didn't open his eyes. He felt if he kept them closed, all of this would disappear. "Harry," it was Professor McGonagall. Her voice was quite and gentle. "I know what you're thinking, just let me explain-"

  "Is this so kind of cruel, sick joke?" Harry yelled. He knew somewhere deep inside that it wasn't, but it was the only explanation he could come up with.

  "If you would just let me-"

  "Their bones were taken last night. Some Death Eaters took them and crushed them up so they could put it in a Polyjuice potion. That has to be it because they can't be here! They aren't alive and that isn't them!" Harry could hear his voice shaking. He felt a hand on his shoulder but he still didn't look. He knew who it was. Harry could smell her flowery sent.

  "Listen to her and you'll understand," Ginny said. She was trying to talk some sense into him, but he wasn't sure if he wanted to know the truth. He finally opened his eyes and looked up. Harry looked at Ginny and she nodded. Ron and Hermione were behind her watching him with concern. McGonagall was off to the side waiting patiently for when he was ready to listen.

McGonagall said, "As I was saying, it truly is your parents, Harry. When I read the news in the paper, I went to Godric's Hollow and inspect for myself.  I landed somewhere in the middle of town. I headed for the graveyard and I found their graves. They were indeed empty. I started to wonder around to see if the person who might've taken the bones stuck around, but I didn't find them. Instead, I found your parents. I didn't believe it was them either, so I took them in for questioning and put veritaserum in their drinks. It's them Harry. Veritaserum doesn't lie."

Harry had a hard time believing it. "Dumbledore said that nothing can wake the dead," he said.

"Yes, I know what Dumbledore said. It isn't supposed to be possible, but Dumbledore was occasionally wrong, you know that," McGonagall retaliated.

Harry said nothing. He was having trouble breathing. After all the things that has happened to him, why now? Why would they suddenly appear? After being dead for eighteen years, his parents were suddenly alive.

"Harry," said a voice behind him. It was Lily, his mother. "Look at me." It wasn't really a command. It was more of a plea. He didn't move. "Harry, please."

He didn't want to look at her. He was afraid that if he did, she would disappear. He was afraid she would shatter into a million pieces just like glass. He was afraid she wasn't actually there, but he looked at her anyway.

He saw his own green eyes looking back at him. She was about half a head shorter than he was. She had a spray of freckles across her nose and cheeks. Her hair was a fiery red, but not the same as the Weaselys'. Their's was the color of an orange sunset, but Lily's was auburn, the color of leaves in Autum. She was all around beautiful.

Next to her was the mirror image of Harry. James was the same height as he was, if not a little bit taller. He had brown, mischievous eyes that were incased by his glasses sitting on his nose. He had the same untamable, black hair as Harry and nearly the same face.

Lily slowly lifted her hand to Harry's cheek, lightly touching his face. She was giving herself and Harry confirmation that this was truly happening. She said, "The last time I saw you, you were just a baby. Now look at you! You're a grown man." Her eyes lift to the scar on his forehead. She grimaced. "I can't imagine the hardships you've been through. I'm so sorry," she said

"I'm the one who should be sorry," Harry said, "I'm the reason why you were dead in the first place. I never meant for it happen." His voice had cracked with emotion.

James said, "It's not your fault, Harry. We couldn't be prouder!" That was the breaking point for Harry. A few tears slipped down his face, but he didn't bother to wipe them away.

His mother pulled him into a hug. His father, too, came and joined them. Harry thought that this would never happen in a million years. He never thought that he'd see his parents alive.