~1~

"Audrey Jakes to the guidance office." Here we go. I glance behind me, Nick giving me a cheerful thumbs up from his table.

"Ms. Jakes!" I hesitantly turn around, knowing what my teacher is going to do.

"You know to quietly exit out of the back door of the classroom when you are called." Mrs. Owens scolds me. I get called down to the guidance office every day at this exact time, in this class. I have for the past couple weeks.

My mother thinks I need help with my grades, and that talking to the school counselor will be any help. I look over to my best friend for support, but he's just concentrated on his book. Thanks Nick.

"I'm sorry Mrs. Owens." I apologize, feeling no guilt.

"You should be. Now get a move on. You've waisted three minutes of my class, that's three minutes you, as well as your classmates, will be spending here after the bell. Oh! Four now."

She gives a sly smile and I rush out of the room. As I walk down the hallway, I somehow forget the route to the guidance office. I have a disorder, which I have no idea how to pronounce the name of it. It's something to do with forgetting things easily.

Only certain things, things I put in the back of my mind. My mother is a paranoid woman, so she thinks I'm sick. But, and I've made her well aware, I am not. I make a detour to the bulletin board that's posted in the main hallway.

Cheerleading tryouts. I've been really thinking of it, and I think I'm gonna try out this year. Nick says that I should and he's in football, so I'd get to see every one of his games. Nick has told me that it meant a lot to him when I tried to come to almost every one of his games last year. We're now juniors and he's been playing since we were freshmen.

"Ms. Jakes?" I hear the guidance counselor's voice behind me. I kept gazing at the bulletin board until I felt her presence even closer.

"Oh! Mrs. Carlton. I was actually just headed to your office." I assure her, fidgeting with my pencil.

"Five minutes late? Did you lose your way again?" She raised an eyebrow, looking over her glasses. That woman is all nice and friendly, but her looks can make you think differently of her. Mrs. Carlton has thin eyebrows, jet black hair, always pencil straight outfits, and thickly black framed glasses. Her eyes are ice blue and it's kind of scary.

"I apologize." I get the words right out of my mouth.

"You only have not even five minutes until you need to be to your next class, Audrey. Do I need to email your mother?" She looks intently at her watch, tapping her foot. Just as I was about to answer, the bell for fourth period rings.

"I'll get you out of third period on Monday, the whole hour. We need to talk about your behaviors at school lately young lady." Mrs. Carlton smiled sweetly, then walked away.

I rushed to my locker to get my things for Gym class. I got my bag and waited for Nick, as usual. I see a familiar head of curly hair walk out of the Language Arts room and Nick spots me right away. He smiles and heads to his locker to get his own bag. I push my bag further up my arm, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Thanks for not helping me with Owens." I sarcastically tell my best friend as we walk to the Gym.

"Sorry. I'm shy." He sheepishly smiles, rubbing the back of his neck. I playfully shove him into a closed locker and he shoves me back.

"Love you, you idiot." I tell him. That made Nick blush.

"Love you too." He boyishly grins right as we walk into the Gym. We got 'ooh's from the whole class as we walk in. Just like always. I roll my eyes and go over to the only girlfriends I had made over the years. Nick has really been my only real friend, and I'm totally okay with that.

"Hey guys." I walk over to my two friends, Ashley and Reese.

"Hey Audrey." They say in unison.

"We heard what Nick said to you as you guys walked in. Ooh, girllll." Ashley tells me, batting her eyelashes.

"Oh stop. We're best friends, it's what we do." I snap at the both of them. Our Gym teacher, Mr. Mathi, takes role and we go to the locker rooms.

"I'm telling you, best friends. That's it." I tell Reese and Ashely as I put my brunette hair in a ponytail before exiting the locker room.

"Yeah, yeah whatever. Come on Ash!" She calls. Ashley soon follows Reese out of the locker room, their hair up perfectly. While mine looks like I just woke up. I'm the last girl out of the locker room, looking awkward as always. I start to walk laps like we're supposed to at the beginning of class, not seeing Nick.

As I get to my second lap, I see my best friend with his other 'jock' friends. Sure, Nick plays football and is pretty sporty, but I wouldn't consider him a jock. When I pass the group, he notices me but I just continue to walk, teasing him.

"Wanna run together?" Nick asks, popping up at my side.

"I thought you were with your other friends?" I challenge.

"You really think they're totally my friends? You're all I need." He winks, a hint of sarcasm in his tone.

"Jog!" Mr. Mathi calls from the other side of the gym. Nick and I pick up the pace to a slow jog, continuing to talk.

"You too. Ashley and Reese couldn't stop talking about the fact you said you loved me. I assured them a thousand times that we're just friends, but did they listen? Of course not." I reach up to tighten my ponytail, awaiting Nick's response.

"Yeah, it's annoying." Is all that he said. I just started to pick up my running pace, really pushing myself.

"Get in your dodgeball teams!" Mr. Mathi yelled throughout the Gym. We all separated into our respectful teams, Nick and I on opposite ones.

"You're going down Jonas." I give him a challenging look.

"Oh, I don't think so Jakes. You may have won yesterday, but I practiced last night." Nick glares at me, smirking.

"With what? Elvis's tennis ball?" I chuckle at my comeback.

"What n-"

"Ready, Set, Go!" We all rush to get a dodgeball from the middle of the Gym before Nick can finish.

I jumped to get out of the way of Nick's third attempt to get me out. The first two were also a failure, which I proceeded to laugh at. I got him out a few times, which I was complimented.

"Last chance of the day Jonas." I tell Nick as we're both standing at the borders of our sides. My best friend and I get very competitive in this game, well everything in Gym class.

"You're on." He challenges me, stepping back cautiously.

"Five minutes!" The teacher yells. Nick and I both fail to hit each other, until there's less then a minute left.

"Thirty seconds!" Then it's really on. I get Nick on one side of the craziness of everyone else, just him and I. When it hits the five second mark, I nail Nick right in the side.

"Yes!!!!" I cheer, jumping up and down.  The rest of the class just looks at me, then looks at Nick getting off the ground.

"Go get dressed guys!" Mr. Mathi calls, ending class. I walk over to my best friend, helping him up.

"Good game Jakes." He grins, standing up.

"You too Jonas." I wink, heading to the locker room.