~4~

"So, you've got yourself a girlfriend?" I asked Nick as we're in home room.

"Yeah. Her name is Kayla." He starts to intensely doodle in his notebook, his face really close to it, like he is trying to avoid this conversation.

"How long have you guys been dating?" I put my head down to look at him.

"When did you move in?"

"Today is Wednesday and I moved in Sunday. So only a few days."

"We started dating on Monday. She asked me at lunch when I was throwing our food away."

"Ah, I see. Is she nice? What color hair does she have? Do I know her?"

"Jeez Drey." Nick rips the piece of paper from his notebook and balls it up.

"Is this an interrogation?" Nick rolls his eyes.

"Hey. You would do the same thing if I was in a relationship." I snap back. Before Nick could answer, the teacher started class. We sat at the same table, except I sat across from him in class. I just kept glaring at him, not receiving any kind of reaction.

"Baby. Walk with me to lunch." A blonde girl, who I'm assuming was Kayla, grabbed Nick's hand and dragged him to lunch, just as him and I were about to go. We always walk together. Nick went along with it, not even apologizing.

I sighed, shutting my locker and shoving my hands in my pockets. I walked to lunch and got in line by myself. Then I got an idea, I can go off campus. I'm a junior. I have the combination to Nick's locker so I can just take his car, I've got my license with me.

I'll be gone and back in a flash, he won't even notice. I hurry to Nick's locker and unlock it. I grab his keys and go to my own locker to get my wallet. He's never told me that I can just drive his car, but he's never told me I couldn't.

"Ms. Cole?" I tap the lunch supervisor on the shoulder.

"Oh, Audrey. So nice to see you dear, what can I do for you?" She turns around and smiles to me.

"I'm going off campus for lunch. Just so you know. I should be there and back with about 10 minutes to spare."

"Okay dear, thank you." I nod and go to the parking lot. I unlock Nick's car and love that I'm in the driver seat. He's let me drive this a couple of times, but he's always been in the car with me. So it's a nice change. I just look around and turn on the radio. I decide there's nothing good on the radio, so I turn it off and turn on the music on my phone.

I play some Falling In Reverse music and jam out. I drive to McDonald's and order and eat. I order Nick a chocolate shake and head back to school. When I'm there, I make sure to lock the car and quickly get the keys back in Nick's locker. By the time I get to the cafeteria, I've got 15 minutes to spare. I just walk to where Nick is sitting, with Kayla and her brats, and set the shake by him. He looks at me and smiles, then Kayla pulls him in for a kiss. I just make a noise of disgust and Nick breaks the kiss.

"Nicky, baby, you're gonna sit by us from now on." Kayla fake smiles at my best friend. My blood started to boil when she called him Nicky. I wanted to scream in her face, tell her that that's what I call him. Only me. I watch his reaction and am surprised. Nick nods and follows Kayla to the Gym. I go sit at an empty table, feeling defeated.

"Hey." I hear a familiar voice. Nick. I just show a wide smile and sit up straight.

"You think I'd just leave you here?" He gives a boyish grin.

"I'm still pretty pissed at you." I snap.

"What? Why?"

"Ditching me?! Not apologizing?! Ring a bell?"

"Drey.......I am so sorry."

"That's okay. I got you back so we're even."

"What did you do?"

"I may have taken a joy ride...." I trail off, looking away from his shocked face.

"You drove Gray?"

"You named your car?" I bust out in laughter.

"You drove her? Where?"

"I may or may not have treated myself to lunch while you were with your Barbie doll." I tease.

"Not cool dude."

"Which part?" I lean forward in my seat as if I'm so interested in the conversation.

"Calling Kayla a Barbie doll. Which she is not."

"Oh, I'm sure she says worse about me." I brush my bangs out of my eyes and Nick just drinks his shake.

"She does, doesn't she?" I scold.

"She's just told me that I should stay away from you. Believe me, I've told her there was no way I was going to do that. You're my best friend and nothing can change that." Nick smiles innocently and I can't help but to forgive him.

"I forgive you. How can I not?" We both get up and hug each other.

"Well, I better get back to Kayla before she's thinks I'm trying to avoid her." Nick snickers.

"See you after school, Jonas." I punch his arm.

"You got it Drey." Then I remembered that he named his car after me. I just shook the thought out of my head and the bell rang. I got up and walked to my next class like everyone else. Physics is my next class and I think I have it with Kayla.

I grab my Physics book, folder, notebook, and my pencil bag, then head to class. Kayla is sitting down, her brats crowding her. I just sit in my own seat and keep my mouth shut, even doing that didn't keep her away.

"You're going to stay away from my Nicky." Kayla sits in front my, her eyes narrowed.

"First off Barbie, Nicky is my nickname for Nick and only mine. Secondly, he's my best friend and there's nothing you can do to keep me away from him. Considering I live with him." I feel empowered as I finish my confrontation.

Kayla looks taken aback, as well as her brats. They just get up and walk away, leaving me feeling great. We continue with class for the whole hour, Kayla's eyes not leaving my back.

"Rooster On The Roof, is what this game is called." Mr. Mathi tells us all as we're on mats in the Gym the next day. He explained to us how to play and we paired up. Nick and I paired up and everyone teased us.

"Why do we always get teased?" Nick gruffly whispers in my ear.

"Because apparently it's illegal for boys and girls to be best friends." I say back.

"Just Married." The teacher says. Nick picks me up, bridal style, like I'm a piece of paper. I make a pose in his arms and get a laugh out of some people. The next challenge is sitting on the park bench. Nick gets on his hands and knees and I sit on his back, pretending that I'm reading a newspaper. We get quite a few more challenges in, Nick and I making fun of most of them, and before we know it class is over.

"That was so fun. I love it." I tell Nick as we walk to the locker rooms.

"I know, it was great. Meet you by the door." He winks and follows his friends to the locker room. I find myself not being able to stop smiling the rest of the day.