The Charging Station

You look like
My next mistake

Blank Space

The bars of my phone blinks red as the system displays "Warning! Low Battery" on my screen. Great. I immediately opened the bag next to my bed, searching for a charger. I found none. I'm pretty much sure I saw a charging station back at the aisle. Might as well check it out.

I walked out of the room with few coins inside my pockets. The floor feels cold against my feet and I wrap my arms around me to keep myself warm. As I get closer to the end of the hallway, I can see someone standing beside the charging station. He's wearing a blue sweatshirt and a pair of jeans. He raised his head to look at me then gazed down to his phone afterwards.

Ignoring him, I insert three five peso coins inside the machine and plugged the connector to my phone. There's a vacant seat nearby so I decided to sit down as I wait for my charging time to run out. I have to be extra cautious since my phone is all the way by the corner with this guy who's fidgeting in place. What's his problem?

A few minutes later and he started sighing. Groaning even. He cursed under his breath as he arrange the wire of the connector, twisting it on different directions. My good side kicks in and I asked him what seems to be the trouble.

"Oh. I'm sorry. It's just that the charger doesn't work. I think the connectors jammed."

"Hm... Maybe your phone's damaged?"

"Nope. It's completely functional."

"Let me try it on my phone.", he nods and I unplugged the connector from his phone and switched it with mine. The bars displayed a bolt, indicating that the device is charging.

"It's working on mine."

"Is that so? Maybe my phone really is jammed.", he sighs. I went back to my chair. He leaned against the wall next to the machine, his eyes closed. The atmosphere was eerie but the dark made the setting a bit creepy. Not so much tho.

"Are you a member?", he uttered, breaking the silence.

He's talking about church. The weekly thanksgiving just ended and some of us chose to stay at the chapel for the night. It's going to be a long trip so we need to take some rest before the bus leaves by tomorrow.

"Yep. You?", he nods his head and I smiled. He then walked closer to my spot.

"What ministry are you in?", he asks again.

"Theatre."

"Really? Me too."

"Which division are you?"

"Metro."

"So far away."

"Yeah. Actually, we still have some catching up to do. This week's just getting busier and busier."

"You can say that again."

And then the conversation went on and on.

A beeping sound broke our chattering and our heads averted to the forgotten machine.

"Looks like my time is up.", I said and stood up, picking up my phone. Still not enough bars.

"Yeah, so... Good night then."

I smiled and went back to my room. It was actually a room with bunch of double deck beds. I was scanning my notifications when someone called me. It was my sister, Jewel.

"Someone's looking for you.", she said. Both of us are wearing a confused face.

I walked outside and found Mr. Charger walking towards me.

"If you like, you can use my time. My phone won't charge anyways so I'm thinking you should take it instead.", he smiled. I nod my head in respond.

"Thank you.", then I walked back to my previous spot. Only Mr. Charger isn't here with me anymore. It felt colder. Strange...

* * * * * *

The following morning, I walked out of the room. I was hoping to see him again before we leave. My wish came true. I saw him carrying a green bag. I guess he's leaving.

I waved my hands and he smiled as he pass by the charging station.

Here he goes. Disappearing in a blink of an eye. The saddest thing I realized that day is that I never get the chance to ask him his name. I'll just stick with Mr. Charger then.

It has been seven months since I saw him. I wonder if he still remembers me.

[BASED ON TRUE EVENTS]