The Night

"How could I tell you I love you
When you are so happy with some other girl?"

Best Friend

I can't sleep. Just not yet. My body's telling me I should stay up and think about the stuffs I can't concentrate on during the day. It's pretty cold out here by myself. Alone... Plopped down inside the trunk of this car with this stupid pillow and this stupid blanket. *Sighs* I'm pretty much sure you're cozy. Sleeping inside the tent... with her. I don't know why but I die a little inside knowing that you're probably fluttered now that you have that chance to sleep right next to the girl of your dreams. I wish I could do the same tho. I wish...

Due to extreme boredom and slight fear of something softly stroking my hair, I lifted myself up and went back to the camp sight to see who's still awake.

"Hey... You're still up?", Maria averted her gaze from her phone to my ugly figure. My hair is all messed up and my clothes were sagging. I didn't bother replying to her.

"Mind if I join you?", she added and sat up. I simply turned away and went back to were I came from. To where I should be... But she followed me and I couldn't possibly tell her to go back. I'm not that bad of a person.

We were both wide awake so we decided to talk about stuffs. I learned things about her. Things that she never told anyone. Or so I thought. I also shared some dramatic memories with her and we laughed the hours away.

"Mosquitoes. Mosquitoes everywhere.", I uttered and we both hopped out of the vehicle. I was the first to get out but I walked slower so she got to the sleeping place first.

"John? What the... What is he doing here?", I heard her say, not looking back at me. So I decided to take a good look. Oh... You're outside the tent. And you're at my supposed-to-be spot.

There was an empty space on that carpet so we decided to stay there for a moment. After talking some more, she decided to lay down. So did I. Wait... I almost forgot you were right beside me.

"I'm gonna' hit the sack now. My eyes are shutting themselves.", Maria yawned and closed her eyelids as she drift away from an unknown dream.

"Oh... Good night then...", I replied. Now I'm the last one standing. I mean awake...

So now what?

"Erhm...", I heard a soft groaning from my right and I turned to see you, peacefully sleeping as bugs fly over your face.

"Shoo... Go away...", I say to myself as I fan them away. I felt like I won a street fight or something. After that small victory, I looked at you again.

What are you dreaming about... What are your secrets... What are you hiding...

Questions came rushing to my mind as I scan every angle of your face. Your messy hair. Your closed tired eyes. And your pimples... (HAHAHA). But most of all... is your lips.

How does it feel like... to kiss you?

For a brief moment, I wanted to do that. Obviously, I wouldn't. But I surely imagined about it. I end up staring at you even more, feeling my heartbeat against my chest.

I just saved you from the mosquitoes, didn't I? Maybe a soft kiss would suffice.

I leaned closer to your face, your lips inches from mine as my eyes slowly closed.

This is it... My first ki---

"Ugh...", I snapped back to my senses and out of that daydream. Should I even call it a daydream although it's night right now? Argh! STOP IT ALREADY. Geez...

"Ehrm...", I heard you groaned and you turned away from me. Now all I see is your back. Oh thank goodness.

"Good night...", I whispered tho I knew you wouldn't hear me.

I closed my eyes and slowly... I fell in the bottomless pit.

[BASED ON TRUE EVENTS]