The Line Where The Sky Meets The Sea

February 21, 2017

Tuesday

That day, everything felt right. The wind, the sun, the waves crashing against the shore. It was a perfect day.

My classmates and I were inside a jeep and everyone was having a fun time passing notes at each other and just randomly calling people we don't know. Immature as it may seem, this is all we really know.

But that's not the best part. When we finally arrived at our destination, then it came to me. This excitement that suddenly overcome me and I guess the rest of us felt the same way.

Sand crunches against our shoes as we made our way to the beach and to the orientation area where we were taught about the difference between turtles and tortoises.

After the mini-seminar, the host gladly invited us to the shore to finally set the hatchlings free.

The sky welcomed us all with the tint of orange and yellow splattered across the horizon. The wind brushed against my cheeks as I chant this song from the Disney movie "Moana". Well, we've been practicing ever since we got here.

At last, we were asked to line up for the coordinators to give us one turtle each. I never felt thrilled. As the guy came closer, I was staring at this specific turtle inside the basin and it was in the middle of the crowd of sea reptiles with none of its pals surrounding it.

"Here you go.", the man said as he picked up the same turtle I was looking at the whole time and placed him in my hands.

"Oh my gosh... You're so freaking cute.", I whispered to myself as it wiggle all over my palm. I held it firmly yet gently so it won't slip away like what happened with one of my classmates. Don't want to get in trouble.

"See that? That's where you'll be in a couple of moments.", I whispered to it although I knew he wouldn't understand me.

"THREE! TWO! ONE! GO!", I heard someone said and everybody started letting go of their turtles while bidding their goodbyes. Hold on a sec, that was faster than I thought!

"Ugh... Bye now, little guy! BE SAFE OUT THERE, YOU HEAR ME?!", I told it before finally setting it free, watching it make its way into the blue zone.

"Look guys.", I said and Nelz along with Ged looked into my arms filled with goosebumps.

"HAHA! That's so creepy."

After a glimpse. A glance. A beat. A blink. He was finally gone. I don't know if I'll see him in thirty years or so but I hope he'll make it.

"I love you.", it's weird but for that brief moment we shared, I already miss that little guy.

I think I'll call him Krong Krong.

"Everyone please return to your vehicles. It's time to go home.", our teacher called and everyone parted yet I stayed, watching the sun as it set.

"Time to go home...", I whispered before taking my leave. Parting my eyes from the line where the sky meets the sea.