The Grumpy Man in Blue >> Leonard "Bones" McCoy X Reader

Title: The Grumpy Man in Blue

Paring: Leonard "Bones" McCoy

Warnings: none!

Spoilers: some but not for the new movie which I haven't seen//

Author's note: Basically inspired by Little Miss Hug (you HAVE to read it!) I wrote this because I love Bones and he's so grumpy and basically my fave in Star Trek.

Also I actually pre-wrote this because I have to get my wisdom teeth out today (all four out in the dentist's chair) and well, apart from being super uber nervous, I didn't want to deprive you, my readers and fellow fic lovers of some prime fanfic I concocted for you. Please wish me luck!

________________________________________________________________________________

"Nurse ________ ... look me in the eye and tell me that you love your job."

You raise your head, and gaze into the brown eyes which stare you down. "Dr. McCoy, I love my job."

On the USS Enterprise, there was little to do but duties. It was five years; longer than you had studied your degree in psychology and in Starfleet. It would make anyone restless, homesick for a planet which had all of your family and friends aboard. Not that this spaceship was uncomfortable. No, no, it had some of the greatest people ever to graduate and be named heroes by Starfleet. Captain Kirk. Mr. Spock. Mr. Sulu, Mr. Scott...Dr. McCoy.

He was a grumpy, terribly stubborn man, whose grim frown could darken a doorway further than three feet away from where he stood. He had done many great things for the medical field, yes, but there was something that a trained psychologist-slash-nurse could pick up from him which he didn't want touched. It almost irritated you, but...you never let it get to you. You were a professional. And despite what people thought of medical staff, you got your job done.

At first, you noticed his grumpy nature firsthand. Your fellow nurses and doctors had been around him for only a mere four minutes when the first batch of sarcasm struck, and before you knew it, most of the people in your division made a pool to debate if there could be one person to remove his usual frown for the longest amount of time. There was no time limit, but it felt strange being around people who went out of their way to make the grumpy grump of a CMO scowling, and ultimately, making life hell for people in his warpath.

But no matter how many nurses trying to butter him up with dates and nights off spent with choice alcohol, you could read him like a book, and though it was written in another language, you could see something wrong.

On certain days, he would forget to shave. His uniform and hair would be unkempt, frown lines deeper. His voice harsher. Hands unsteady. But no matter what mood he would be in, his attention to practising medicine would not waver.

"It's useless," Simon, a technician, sighed, head held in his hands. "The longest he's gone without being a Grinch has been fifteen minutes."

Anders nodded, flicking potato across the tables to hit a red shirt. "Tell me. That was Martinez after he told a him a really boring story, at the end of the shift," the nurse rolled her eyes, pouting. "You put the damn man to sleep, not made him less grumpy."

Martinez shrugged, his shirt swimming more so than usual on his small frame, "It's not my fault he frowns in his sleep - but at least he didn't yell at anyone!"

A shadow darkens the table you are all seated at in the cafeteria, and accompanied by a throat clearing, you glance up to see firsthand, the face of the captain himself, Jim Kirk smirk, "You're not talking about who I think you're talking about, are you?" he grins.