Discretion and Prudence >> Spock X Reader

Title: Discretion and Prudence

Paring: Spock X Reader

Warnings: reader has no pronouns, so can be read by anyone, you and Spock are basically parenting Jim Kirk, fluff, angst.

Spoilers: a few, but they're for the first two movies in the AOS, which you should have seen already. If not, go and see them!! They're so good!

______________________________________________________________________________

All it had taken was one away mission – just one, and then he had touched something he shouldn't. But that was the captain of the Enterprise, for you. Captain Kirk was a brave man, yes, but if you were asked off the record, you would say he had a few lessons to learn. But he did what he did for the greater good of his crew, and for many a tough moment, you thanked his quick thinking. But there were times his quick thinking was not turned on, and did silly things.

When everyone had collected the data, made peace with the alien organisms upon the planet and then returned to the ship, Captain Kirk was sent to sickbay to recover from touching that noxious substance, and you took the next position that rank allowed, shifted one position up to make for the gap in the Disc.

"Mr. Spock, all systems are ready for departure." You tell your superior officer. It's strange to see him in the captain's chair, but then again, it's strange to see anyone in that chair. "Awaiting your command, sir."

He was silent a moment, and then, to you, he nodded. "Mr. Sulu...punch it."

It was a silent return to the neutral space zone. It always was, but this time, without the witty remarks from the Iowa native, it seemed even more so. Apart from the noises from the machinery, and the low chatter from those working the panels and navigational screens, you stood beside your newly appointed captain, monitoring his appearance. While you were on board the Enterprise when the incident happened, Mr. Spock had been a part of the landing party, and you wondered if, in that part-Vulcan mind of his, that he had taken blame for the occurrence that happened.

"Sir –," he silences you with a simple gesture.

"Not now, Lieutenant," he glances your way, and then, taking notice of his PADD, attends to a message that has been sent onto it. The markings on the screen you can see suggest it is from the Medbay. "Elsewhere."

You understand. While Mr. Spock focuses on the newfound responsibilities as Captain, you focus on the reports and findings in your own PADD, diffusing tension between other members of the crew when they grew restless, tired. The changing of shifts couldn't happen soon enough, and when it does, you're soon out of there, and trying to shake off the stress of the day.

The elsewhere spoken of happens to be your shared room. But when it comes to sharing words and explanations, it just doesn't feel like it's the right time. Maybe it's because it's been a very long shift on Alpha, or perhaps, because you're not one to push a door labelled pull. If you think you're tired, you wonder how Spock feels. Eyes heavy, you decide not to chase the issue that had been pushed back, and instead, fall asleep as soon as your head hits the pillow.

But you wake in the night, finding yourself craving a warm cup of cocoa, and quietly, you slip from the shared bed, and into your slippers. But before you can leave the room, you hear a shuffle behind you. The lights slowly turn onto a low glow, allowing you to see Spock, bleary-eyed and hair mussed, following your footsteps, sluggishly tying the belt to his nightrobe.