It's The Great Pumpkin, Leonard McCoy >> Leonard McCoy X Reader

Title: It's The Great Pumpkin, Leonard McCoy

Paring: Leonard McCoy X Reader

Warnings: HALLOWEEN!

Spoilers: NO

Author's Note: 1. Sorry for the 2,000 + words. 2. I was requested by an anonymous person on Tumblr to write this fic, and I have had the greatest time doing it! I'm Australian, and we don't particularly celebrate Halloween here, but I am in the spooky spirit, and had to do it for the Blue-Shirted Dr. Leonard McCoy! 3. I've posted it early (today's the 30th here) just so everyone across the world can read a Halloween story actually on Halloween for a change. I hope you all enjoy!

______________________________________________________________________________

I. 

There was something about living in Outer Space on a ship, constantly working which drove you to where you were right at this moment. Yes, you worked hard, and respected your coworkers and your bosses, and you were a trustworthy person, that was very true. And anyone would be quick to label you as passionate. So, it was perfectly reasonable to plot what you were plotting. The truth was, as a triage nurse, you were one with reasonably little time, hands often full, and mind overfilling with things which could rarely come true for those on your pay grade.   

Yet, it was Halloween in the morning, and a quick call to those on the Bridge (you had a yellow shirt in a chair who owed you a favour), and you were carrying decorations he had been hoarding back to the main Medbay. The clock above the doorway ticked, turning time through its hands as it became morning, early. Yes, there were the night team on shift, and the patients sleeping in overnight observation were not interrupted. But still, you hung the paper decals of skulls and their skeletons, gourds, and it was while you were stringing the line of small paper pumpkins when a shadow loomed in the entrance. 

"What's this about, Nurse ________?" 

Turning, you saw the familiar dark head of hair attached to the CMO, Dr. McCoy. Your superior officer. With a guilty grin, you hold up the last piece of pumpkin-strung line with vigour. "Halloween, sir. All Hallow's Eve is tomorrow, and I couldn't have us missing out."

He raises a brow, and without a word, crosses the threshold to help you place the last piece on the wall into place. "I know what Halloween is, I'm no corn-fed idiot," he grumbles, dusting his hands onto his cerulean sweater. "I'm just wondering why a triage nurse like yourself is doing awake during recuperation hours." 

Your guilty smile widens. "All in the name of fun, sir. Which reminds me, I really should be going back for a quick nap before my shift starts."  You gesture to the clock, along with all the decorations you had put up to get everyone into the holiday spirit, "I was hoping to surprise you, sir, but you seemed shocked enough for me."

Dr. McCoy shakes his head, helping you get down from the little ladder. "It's three in the morning, Nurse ________, anything could have shocked me, let alone," he motions to the picture you plastered on the wall, of a large pumpkin, "Whatever that is." 

You gasp. "That's - it's the Great Pumpkin, Dr. McCoy!" you gush, "It's from the 20st Century - prime Earth cultural history, my favourite story as a child for the Halloween time of year!" you confide. 

He nods, and takes your elbow. "That sounds great and all, but I'm going to have to walk you back to your lodging, _______, before you're too dead on your feet to do your real job." His snark is still sharp. "And I don't care if you object. As your superior -," 

You shake your head. "You're too kind, sir, but I was going off anyway. Don't you have to be in the Medbay, though?" you add.

"I'm in charge of the thing, it can wait half an hour," he grumbles. "C'mon, you."