War + Peace >> Eric (Divergent) X Reader

Title: War + Peace

Paring: Eric (Divergent) X Reader

Warnings: features gun shot wounds, asshole!Eric, badass Amity!Reader, fluff, pining. 

Spoilers: nooope spoilers what spoilers? they don't exist

______________________________________________________________________________

You had chosen to stay with Amity. It was something you felt within your heart when you were sixteen years old. Too young to look at boys, and feel attraction, too old to look at friends and see anything more than potential. Your family of healers had praised you, and covered you with love and affection, and you began working on a farm just outside the boarder of the township. While you toiled the earth to sow the farmland for crops for all the factions, your curiosity grew alongside your body.

Days turned to months, when you heard your childhood friends who had transferred to Dauntless had become accepted to the faction. Months turned to years when you met a man from that faction, yourself. All the stories you had heard about them did not lie – they were brash, rude, loud. Hard, strong, unforgiving. While your body was decorated in hand-painted clay beaded necklaces, made by your mother, theirs were with needles and permanent things. You were eighteen years old, now. And a little voice inside your head wished that you had not played it safe, and explored the choices that you could have made. Alas, you could not change the past. Just learn from the choices you had made.

It was not unusual for Dauntless to send people to patrol the fence. In fact, it was a job that they took pride in, and had many young Dauntless warriors to do so. Every day when you came out to water the seeds, to plant more, to care for the gardens, you would look to the people who patrolled. They were of all kinds – men with long hair, women with shaved heads, people with skin covered in patterns of ink, people with more holes and metal than you'd ever seen in your life. Some days, when you felt brave (and the people who supervised you were not looking) you would approach the patrols, bringing sandwiches wrapped in brown paper, small cups of homemade lemonade.

That was before you saw him.

You had to remind yourself that he was just as human as you were, but just looking at him, you could have sworn that he was not. He worked hard, and every time he was standing guard at the perimeter, you would see how the sun glinted from his tattoos, how dedicated he was to his post.

But every time you approached him, to offer food for his service, he turned you down. It was not until your allocated time off, when you inquired to the local Mouthpiece about him that you learned; Eric Coulter ... born into Erudite, transferred the year before you to Dauntless ... became a leader at just seventeen. Now you understood. When you returned home that afternoon, you went straight to your chores, ignoring the guards at the fence, doing your duty. That was all he was doing. All that he needed to do to prove his worth as both a member of the clan, and as a leader.

And you respected that.

It was not until thirty-nine days after that day until you crossed paths with Eric once more. You didn't know the details, only seeing them from your perspective. But at four thirty on Friday afternoon, you watched as one of the weapons on a Dauntless guard misfired, and shot at another of the members watching the fence. You, an Amity should have cowered, or perhaps gone to any nearby children below Choosing age and hurried them away. But instead, something filled your veins, and powered your bravado, and you ran toward the commotion from where you worked in the field.

Shot in the lower calf, Eric fell to his knees upon the grassy plains of Amity. At once, you tore your yellow jumper from your body, pressing it to the bleeding limb. Not one Dauntless stopped you, instead watching in silence as you staunched the wound.