Chapter 1: Damn brothers

Beautiful cover done by LK_XOXO
_______________________________________

Chapter 1: Damn brothers

~Skyler~

The sun rays beamed through the curtains as the sun started to set.

I opened my eyes squinting at the light that shone across the room.

"Honey, you're gonna be late for school" Amelia my stepmother yelled.

"Just a minute" I muttered not registering what was said.

I looked to my right to see my phone about 30 centimetres away. Debating if I should or not, I instantly regretted it when the cold air made contact with my skin, making me shiver.

I groaned when I realised that I powered it off. And today just happens to be Friday. I have a part time job as a waitor every Friday night. Not because I'm poor but because I hate making people pay for me. It just feels wrong when my parents already pay for my education, food, and the electricity and water bills.

I waited a minute before the time finally popped up.

8:20 am.

The time still lingered on the screen as I stared at it confused. 8:20? Shouldn't it be like 7:30?

I turned my phone off, then on again, but to much luck, it just changed to 8:21. I closed my eyes and opened them to see if my eyes were playing tricks on me, but the numbers still appeared to be the same as before.

"Sugar" I cursed realising that was the actual time.

I quickly typed in my password and checked if my alarm was set at 7:30. It appeared to be set at 7:30. How could I be so dumb? I powered off my phone, of course it didn't go off.

No, this cannot be happening. I can't be late to school. I have never been late to school ever, in my whole life. And I would like to keep it that way. After all, they do call me a good girl for a reason. I might seem like a goody too shoes but I'm just doing this so I get good grades and a good application for college.

I jumped out of bed and got changed quickly throwing on tight black jeans and a blue top with a black jumper.

I quickly brushed my hair and put it into a messy braid. Deciding to go with no make up as I hardly wear any anyway.

I opened my laptop to check if it was fully charged. The sight in front of me was a disgrace. The screen had texta all over it. And don't even get me started on the keyboard. Literally all of the used to be white letters had turned green.

"Amy" I muttured my younger sisters name. I gritted my teeth in anger at my sister. Amy and I have always had prank wars. Pulling pranks on each other was pretty much our daily routine. Amy always pulling pranks on me first and me doing it back. But mine wasn't as bad as Amy's. Being Amy the so-called innocent younger sister, she'd always run to Amelia complaining about it. Of course, Amelia took the bait and punished me for it.

I'll deal with her later, I thought. I quickly got a wipe and scrubbed it on my laptop hoping that it would come off. Thankfully the colour slowly started to fade.

Checking the time again which showed 8:40. I started to stress. The bell went at 8:45 and it takes 10 minutes to get there by car.

I stared at the laptop and decided to scrub it off later. As I placed it carefully in my bag, I grabbed my bag swinging it over my shoulder.

Making my way to the kitchen, I found Amelia cooking pancakes.

"Good morning" Amelia greeted in a warm tone.

"Morning, is dad here yet?" I asked opening up the fridge.

"His flight was cancelled unfortunately" Amelia replied sympathetically giving me a sad smile.

Dad is always oversees on business trips. It's always Amy, Amelia and I. There's never been a time that I recalled dad staying here for at least a week. Of course Amelia knows how much I miss dad, so she tries to take my mind off it, and it works. For a little bit. Most of all I miss mom.

I went into deep depression when we lost her. The loss of my brother added onto my depression leaving me in a vulnerable state. We rarely talk about mom's death, but the topic of my brother never comes up. Even saying his name is bad. It didn't help that dad was always away on business trips. When mom died he started leaving home more often. Not really thinking about how Amy, Josh and I felt. But Amy didn't understand. After all she was just a baby. I can't help but feel angry about how dad wasn't there for me when I needed him most. When we needed him the most.

I looked in the fridge and decided to have an up and go. Shutting the fridge, I grabbed my lunch and snacks.

"Where's Josh?" I asked thinking about my older, over protective brother.

"He's already at school". I groaned in anger at my brother. Why the hell wouldn't he get me up? He knows how much I hate missing school.

I hugged her and rushed to the door. "I have to go, can you please take Amy to school"

I normally take Amy to primary school as everyone else is busy, but right now I have no time as you can tell.

"Sure, have a great day at school honey" Amelia replied.

I quickly closed the door and made my way to my new car. The gift that I got for my 18th birthday. Dad bought it for me. Although I would rather him be at home spending some time with me. Having no time to admire it I opened the car door and started up the engine.

I took the fastest route to school but it felt like the slowest as every time I came to a traffic light it was always red. It's not like I would go through a red light anyway.

I groaned when the light turned red for about the 7th time. This is starting to really piss me off. I checked the time and it was already 9. Locker bell went at 8:45, and the period bell went at 8:55.

"Don't worry Sky. By the time you get there you'll be only 10 minutes late" I assured myself trying to stay positive.

As soon as I saw sight of the school I let out the breath of air that I was holding. At least I didn't get into a car crash. That would be the worst bad luck ever. Dad would literally kill me. Not that he has the time too anyway.

I parked my car and shoved my bag in my locker grabbing all of my books for my first class, nearly tripping over my own feet.

"Here goes nothing" I muttered finding my way to my first class. I took a deep breath and opened the door.

_______________________________________

First chapter is up. What do you think? I know that's it's short, but in my authors note I said that the max words will be 800 words and this chapter ended up being 1235 words long.

Anyway, I've decided to ask a question each chapter, just so I get to know you readers better.

Q: Favourite colour?

Mine is green.

Updating in a week.
Remember to comment and vote.
~Ashley