Chapter 4: Touch wood three times

"Bad luck?" I asked lifting my head up sounding interested.

"Yeah"

"Like have you recently walked under a ladder?" Lara asked finishing my penut butter sandwich.

"No"

"Have you broken a mirror?" Lara continued.

"I would do no such thing" I replied not understanding were this was going.

"She's talking about the unlucky symbols of bad luck" Charlotte piped in.

"Oh, well I haven't done anything that bad in my life" I replied honestly.

"Your right, you haven't even said a swear word in your life" Lara snorted amused.

"Have so" I defended.

"Ok, say shit" Lara challenged me.

"C'mon Laura, give her a brea-" Charlotte came to my rescue but was stopped when Lara put her finger on her lips silencing her.

"It's not my fault. Sky brought herself into this" Lara said and raised an eyebrow, once again trying to challenge me.

"Sugar" I blurted out.

"Sugar? Seriously" Lara asked laughing.

"They're the same thing!" I argued.

Lara scoffed and rolled her eyes at me.

"Anyway you've got two more periods, try not to get more bad luck" Charlotte interrupted.

I snorted. "I'll try not to"

"And I've got my part time job too" I remembered groaning. It just has to be today.

I crossed my fingers hoping that nothing will happen at my part time job. And that this 'bad luck' doesn't continue on.

"You could always call in sick" Charlotte suggested.

"They'll probably fire me" I sighed.

"Yeah, I know" Charlotte replied sympathetically.

The bell signalled the end of lunch. Two more periods to go.

Try not to get more bad luck, Charlotte's words rang through my head.

**

I stared at the clock. Pretty much what I've been doing this whole period. So far nothing bad has happened during these two periods. My mind started to drift to whats the worst that can happen. I get paired with someone like Bianca. Get picked on to teach the class. Which they make fun of me. Those are probably the least worst.

One more minute to go. When there was 5 seconds to go I started counting down the seconds.

55

56

57

58

59

3:15. The bell rang a few seconds later and I let out the breath that I had been holding.

Thank god nothing bad happened during those last two period. I just hope that nothing happens at my part time job.

I grabbed my books and left the classroom.

Charlotte and Lara were already at my locker with their bags.

"So, tell us about the bad luck you had in those last two periods" Lara asked rather excited.

"None" I replied smiling gleefully.