[19] Kisses

"And now, a few notices."

Professor Dumbledore's voice rang through the Great Hall as students sat at their house tables, stomachs full to bursting from the feast they'd just had. The sorting had felt like it was never going to end, with this year's batch of first years being one of the largest yet. But they'd gained quite a few Gryffindors, including a very cute girl with dark hair in braids who sat across from Aisling; catching her eye and beaming at her whenever possible.

"As well as the usual list of banned objects and artifacts which can be found on the door of Mr Filch's office; extra security measures have been taken to ensure that nobody enters or leaves the school who doesn't have express authority to do so."

The few students who had still been whispering to each other stopped, and the Great Hall was now filled with a deafening silence as everyone took in what the headmaster had just said. Extra security measures. It was funny how three words had the power to render an entire hall of people completely silent. Dumbledore hadn't said it, but everybody in the hall knew exactly who they were taking extra security measures against. Even the first years seemed able to appreciate the gravity of the statement.

"And so." Dumbledore continued, finally breaking the painful silence. "If the prefects would kindly escort the first years up to their dormitories."

Remus and Lily stood up and each took a small, but still rather larger than usual, group of first years each and led them out of the hall.

"Are we in danger?"

Aisling heard a small voice come from somewhere near her midriff and looked down to see the girl from across the table staring up at her with large, brown eyes. She was so taken aback by the blunt question that she could do nothing more than stare mutely at the girl.

"Of course not."

Remus had fallen into step with Aisling and bent down to address the girl directly.

"What's your name?" He asked, smiling kindly at her.

"Nadia." She answered, still staring unblinkingly from Remus to Aisling.

"Well, Nadia. I can assure you that you are completely safe here. Do you know why?"

She nodded. "Because Dumbledore is here."

"No!" Remus feigned an expression of shock.

"No?" The girl repeated, looking confused.

"Because you're here. You're in Gryffindor, where dwell the brave at heart! As long as you're here we've got nothing to worry about." Remus mimed unsheathing a sword and Nadia giggled.

The girl then sped up slightly to catch up with a group of fellow first years in front of her. Remus straightened up and turned to Aisling.

"You're welcome." He said. "Looked like you were going to have an aneurism."

"Yeah, thanks. I'm not great with kids." Aisling shrugged. "But you are, do you have brothers and sisters?"

Remus's smile faltered slightly at this, and he looked down at the ground.

"No." He said quietly. "I was a bit of a handful when I was younger, parents seemed to think one kid was quite enough."

Aisling felt suddenly guilty. Of course Remus didn't have any younger siblings, his parents wouldn't have been able to have any more children after he was bitten. In fact, asking this question had created a bit of tension. She knew about his 'affliction', and she was pretty sure that he was aware that she knew. But, to this day, neither of them had ever spoken about what she'd seen on that full moon at the foot of the Whomping Willow. And both had the distinct feeling that the other was very keen to keep it that way.