[30] Plans

"Pssst!"

Aisling heard the boy next to her hiss for what felt like the millionth time in the last hour. She rolled her eyes, maybe moving next to Sirius again in Alchemy had been a mistake; although the constant interruptions were miles preferable to the stilted conversations and awkward silences she had endured sitting next to Sam for the last couple of weeks. She heard the faint scraping of parchment against wood as Sirius slid yet another note over to her side of the desk.

You sure I can't interest you in a snog in the Astronomy tower later?

She peered up at him over her textbook and raised an eyebrow dissaprovingly, moving the book further up to hide her smile. Five minutes later, she heard the sound again and moved her hand across to reach the note without even thinking.

Then could you please stop sucking on the end of your quill like that? It's very distracting.

Sirius watched the girl in amusement as her cheeks flamed instantly red and she ducked behind her large copy of 'The Four Elements and How to Master them' in an attempt to hide them. She heard the scratching of his quill again and sighed.

"I'm serious!" She whispered, shooting a threatening glance at him.

But nevertheless, a few seconds later, there was another note.

No, I'm Sirius. You're very pretty.

The snort of laughter which escaped her filled the silent room and everyone turned to look at her. She ducked behind her book once again in embarrassment.

"Is there a problem, Miss McCawley?" She heard Dumbledore ask from behind his desk at the front. He looked at her intently over half-moon spectacles.

"No sir." She said sheepishly.

Sirius gazed at her as she read and took notes from the huge book in front of her. She was so beautiful, all he wanted to do was to lean forward and...

"I do believe that's the end of today's lesson!" His daydreaming was rudely interrupted by the headmaster's voice. Over the scraping of chairs that ensued as the students stood up to leave, he heard Dumbledore again. "Oh and Mr Black, could I borrow you for a minute?"

Once the classroom was completely empty, Dumbledore fixed him with an intense stare. It was rather unnerving and made Sirius feel so uncomfortable that eventually he felt inclined to break the silence.

"Was there something you wanted, Sir?" He asked, fiddling with his bag strap.

"Yes, I can't help but notice that you seem rather distracted lately. Am I correct in thinking so?" The look on the headmaster's face suggested that he knew full well that he was.

"I suppose...?" Sirius said uncertainly.

"Well, I suggest that you address the matter sooner rather than later." Dumbledore continued. "I would hate for her to interfere with your N.E.W.T. results."

"Her?" Sirius asked, startled.

"Oh, is that what I said?" Dumbledore asked, walking out of the door. "Slip of the tongue, I meant it."

"What did Dumbledore want?" James asked Sirius when he joined them at the Gryffindor table five minutes later.

"He told me that he didn't want me getting 'distracted' by things and ruining my grades." Sirius said, grabbing a lamb chop and a few potatoes.

"But what would you be distracted by?" James asked through a mouthful of steak and kidney pie. "I mean, compared to normal we've been practically angelic recently."