[25] Frost

Aisling McCawley had, for a very long time, thought that butterflies in the stomach was one of the most unpleasant feelings on earth. Granted, she had started believing this when she was very young and had a limited experience of unpleasant feelings; but after three years of studying Care of Magical Creatures and five years of Potions, in which she had handled her fair share of things which bit or scratched or excreted unpleasant liquids, she could still confidently say that it was one of her least favourite feelings.

As she braided her hair into a tight plait and tried desperately to keep her breakfast down, she thought almost longingly of the bucket of Flobberworms that Professor Slughorn had once insisted she sort through. The tickling in her gut was obviously due to the fact that Aisling was getting ready to go on a first date. No, not a first date. The first date. In other words, Aisling had never been on a date before. Unless she counted that drink in The Three Broomsticks with Gideon Prewett. And, since she had spent the majority of the time talking about Sirius, she didn't.

Her nerves were not being helped by Lily and Alice, who seemed to be far more excited about the date than she was, constantly asking her what she was planning once she and Sam got into Hogsmeade. The truth was she didn't know, as she kept telling them, but this didn't deter them.

***

Maybe you'll go to Madam Puddifoot's!" Alice offered excitedly one evening. "That's where Frank and I went on our first date, it's sooooo romantic in there."

Aisling pretended that she was engrossed in her Herbology homework. Thinking privately that she would much rather that they didn't go anywhere too romantic.

"You might just go to The Three Broomsticks." Lily suggested.

She had been her usual self since the ball. If she remembered anything she had said under the influence of pink drinks, she didn't mention it. Aisling, while sucking on her quill in an attempt to look more engrossed in the essay, thought to herself that The Three Broomsticks was not a very preferable alternative; owing to how many students would be in there at the same time.

"Ash, are you actually excited about this date?"

Aisling was finally forced to look up, as Lily's voice became sharper and she felt two pairs of eyes boring into her.

"Yeah, of course I am." She said, trying to sound convincing.

"Well, could you tell your face then?" Lily arched an eyebrow. "Because you look like you'd rather spend tomorrow trying to wrestle a cutlery set off a Niffler."

"Oh leave her alone Lily, she's just be nervous." Alice said, shooting Lily a look which quite clearly said 'leave it.'

Lily shrugged before standing up and crossing the common room to talk to Remus. Alice just stared at Aisling. When she eventually looked up to see what Alice wanted, she noticed that her blonde head was cocked slightly to one side.

"What?" Aisling asked, raising her eyebrows.

"Nothing, just you-" Alice trailed off. "Oh nothing."

"Right well, if you're done being vague, do you fancy helping me with this Herbology essay?"

***

"Aisling, hurry up! Everyone's leaving!" She heard Lily shout up the stairs at her.

After looking outside to see the frost that covered everything outside, she hurriedly pulled on a woolen hat and a jumper, before dashing into the common room.

When they got to The Entrance Hall, Sam was waiting at the bottom of the stairs and smiled nervously when he saw her.

"Hi." She said, cursing her pale skin as she felt a blush spreading up from her neck and onto her face.